How Do I Stack Up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdx171

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I got my B.S. in Business a couple of years ago, graduated with a 3.31 GPA. While I was in school I had to work full-time to help provide for my father, who is disabled. Due to this I have a couple of rough semesters and about 10 Withdrawals (he had to have multiple surgeries).
I've been a paramedic for 6 years and I'm an adjunct instructor of EMS at a local community college for the last 2 years. I love medicine and want to become a physician, but I'm worried about my GPA. I've completed all my science pre-reqs, as well as some other science courses (64 hrs total post-bac with straight A's). After these additional science courses I have a 3.48 overall GPA, a 3.79 BCPM GPA, and a 34 MCAT. Along with the 6 years clinical experience in EMS and the experience as an educator, I've been published once in EMS magazine, volunteered with the Make-A-Wish Foundation for several years, and spent a year in the Student Government Association.

Am I anywhere near competitive? Will admissions committees take into account that my low overall GPA was due to my difficulty in non-science courses I took years ago while I was the primary caretaker of my father? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

published in an EMS magazine for what?

I think youve shown that you have it and that obviously personal issues was a big problem at first.

Id go for it.

published in an EMS magazine for what?

I think youve shown that you have it and that obviously personal issues was a big problem at first.

Id go for it.

Just a continuing education type article regarding patient assessment, nothing too fancy.

Members don't see this ad :)
good stuff. Yea I hope things work out for you. Props for working EMS for 7 years straight and not being ready to scream.

Ive done as much as school allowed over the past 7 years but I just miss learning. I feel like learning more about emergency medicine is pretty much rare at the EMT-B level. Maybe its different for paramedics.

Again, good luck. I think you have a good chance at making it happen. Are there prehealth advisers at the place where you took your pre-reqs? Maybe you could speak to them.

good stuff. Yea I hope things work out for you. Props for working EMS for 7 years straight and not being ready to scream.

Ive done as much as school allowed over the past 7 years but I just miss learning. I feel like learning more about emergency medicine is pretty much rare at the EMT-B level. Maybe its different for paramedics.

Again, good luck. I think you have a good chance at making it happen. Are there prehealth advisers at the place where you took your pre-reqs? Maybe you could speak to them.

Believe me, I screamed alot. (and still do) :) I only did ambulance-based EMS for 2 years then worked for a Fire Department where we did first response. When I decided to go take my med school pre-req's I took a job with a local PD so I could work nights and have my days available for class and study. I only do a shift or two a month on the ambulance these days, just to keep my skills sharp.

I wouldn't worry too much about your GPA as your experience as a paramedic will look really good. One of my friends took time off college to get his EMT-P and he absolutely loves the amount of clinical experience it has afforded him. Your MCAT score of 34 is very good and your background as a business major may help distinguish you from of the piles of applicants who are bio majors (like myself :D )

Although your numbers may not get you into a top 5 medical school, you are certainly very competitive at most allopathic programs. Apply broadly to several programs and you will get interviews. Good luck!!!

Without a research experience I doubt you'll be very competitive at the more selective research institutions, but I do think you have a good shot at getting an admission if you apply broadly. Your good MCAT score, nice BCPM GPA, and two years of excellent grades will balance your low cGPA. Your outstanding EMT experience, leadership and teaching background, and altruistic service will make you shine. That you have a publication of any sort helps you stand out. Your challenges in helping your dad will help make a compelling Personal Statement. I think you'll do well assuming good Letters of Recommendation and good interview skills.

Without a research experience I doubt you'll be very competitive at the more selective research institutions, but I do think you have a good shot at getting an admission if you apply broadly. Your good MCAT score, nice BCPM GPA, and two years of excellent grades will balance your low cGPA. Your outstanding EMT experience, leadership and teaching background, and altruistic service will make you shine. That you have a publication of any sort helps you stand out. Your challenges in helping your dad will help make a compelling Personal Statement. I think you'll do well assuming good Letters of Recommendation and good interview skills.

Spot on. I agree.

You have a good shot somewhere.