how do i start studying for the mcats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
had the first kaplan class today, and got a ton of materials from them. how did you all (specifically those who took the lcass) begin to delve into the studying. Did you try to devote the first month to learning content befo prac tests?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't take class, but got materials from a friend along with exam krackers. I structured myself by reading and grazing the material at first getting a general idea to each theme. I then went back and got to the nitty gritty learning (or recalling most of the time) formulas, while applying introduced shortcuts and also refreshing the theory of everything. A third trip back through it all, this time as a slow pace compared to the first time, cemented everything.

I did it at my own pace, and finished all materials in about three weeks, spending most evenings studying until exaustion set in, being sometimes 1 hour or 5 hours depending on the day.

I had a diagnostic score of 29 (10BS 9PS 10VS) and now i am doing significantly better as my last AAMC CBT was a 37 (14BS 12PS 11VS)

had the first kaplan class today, and got a ton of materials from them. how did you all (specifically those who took the lcass) begin to delve into the studying. Did you try to devote the first month to learning content befo prac tests?

I took the Kaplan course. I recommend devoting the first month to learning content. I think Kaplan schedules their FL 1 exam after 2/3 of the course. (That was the first FL I took). Use the first 2/3 of the course to learn the material. Keep up with the reading, take summary notes if it helps you, and review the flashcards AFTER EACH LECTURE. I really recommend reviewing the flashcards to drill basic facts you need to know.

After you take Kaplan FL1, you finish the last 1/3 of the course and can keep doing practice in there as well.

hope this helps, good luck!