How do I submit a late letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Damege

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of getting a fourth letter of recommendation. When it is finished, how should I send it out to schools? My options it seems are giving my recommender 18 stamped envelopes or doing it through AMCAS again. I'm not sure if AMCAS is for late recommendations after the primary is submitted though. Will AMCAS have to re-review parts of my app? Will that take forever and I'm better off with the envelopes?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in the process of getting a fourth letter of recommendation. When it is finished, how should I send it out to schools? My options it seems are giving my recommender 18 stamped envelopes or doing it through AMCAS again. I'm not sure if AMCAS is for late recommendations after the primary is submitted though. Will AMCAS have to re-review parts of my app? Will that take forever and I'm better off with the envelopes?

Check the AMCAS instruction manual/Letter of recommendation FAQ page to be sure, but I believe you can add/assign letters of recommendation at any time without a penalty. Most schools that participate in the AMCAS LOR service WON'T accept letters by other methods.

since most schools only accept letters through AMCAS, you should have your letter writer upload the letter to AMCAS just like your other writers did. then you need to assign the letter to each school that you want it to be sent to, and then resubmit your AMCAS app. it will not have to be re-verified, and you dont need to pay any additional fees. i did this earlier this month with no problems or delays. after my professor uploaded my letter and i resubmitted my AMCAS app, i called each school that i had the letter sent to, just to confirm that they received it. all of them received it within 48 hours.

if youre unsure, call AMCAS. they are usually pretty helpful.