Medical How do I talk about DUI in my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a misdemeanor DUI (2nd) from Jan. of 2011. I now have 8 years sober through a 12 step program. My sober medical professional friends have said not to mention the DUI aside from a short 3 sentence blurb in the section for misdemeanors. Then I heard some advice to reference it in passing, so that people concerned about the DUI would see that I had grown, but it wouldn't be obvious to people that didn't care.

My Personal Statement currently says something to the effect of healing childhood trauma helping me find my purpose and become a doc. (I was molested at an early age.) I am ok with talking about either the DUI or the molestation if asked directly during an interview. I actually work with women in recovery who are struggling with these issues, and that is why I want to get my M.D. Again, just alluded to by the simple statement of trauma. I am sure my 12 step friends are right that details should not be gone into about either subject. Because of anonymity, I also have not listed any of the volunteer work I do in this area. Just wondering if even using the word trauma is to much detail. Also, if anyone has advice on how to handle this. I have a strong GPA, was a professional musician/teacher, and am now 39. Thanks for any thoughts!
1) Own the DUI
2) Tell the truth
3) 2011 is a long time ago.
4) The PS is not for explanations, only "Who am I?" and "Why Medicine"

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.