how do I tell if medical school is more research-focused or primary care-focused?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lialalala

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the moment, I am more interested in working in a hospital and interacting with patients than doing research.
Is there a way I can tell whether the medical school is more focused on research or on primary care?

On MSAR, if it says research is required for graduation, should I consider it as a research-focused school?

Also, I see that MSAR gives a list of what percentage of graduating classes went to different specialties.
Some schools have a percentage in each category, while some schools have 0% on everything.
Then can I consider the schools that have 0% on all sections are more of a research-focused school?
Some schools that had 0% on all were: Carle Illinois, Georgetown, George Washington, Albany Medical.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Higher stat schools tend to be research focused. A medical school that is a research powerhouse also graduates physicians who practice in clinics and hospitals too though.

At the moment, I am more interested in working in a hospital and interacting with patients than doing research.
Is there a way I can tell whether the medical school is more focused on research or on primary care?

On MSAR, if it says research is required for graduation, should I consider it as a research-focused school?

Also, I see that MSAR gives a list of what percentage of graduating classes went to different specialties.
Some schools have a percentage in each category, while some schools have 0% on everything.
Then can I consider the schools that have 0% on all sections are more of a research-focused school?
Some schools that had 0% on all were: Carle Illinois, Georgetown, George Washington, Albany Medical.

Thank you in advance!
Nope. 0% just means they didn't report the numbers. A way you can tell is that USNWR publishes a primary care ranking that no one focuses on, in addition to the research ranking we all bow to. It's not dispositive, but a high primary care ranking would provide a clue that the school prioritize and values it.