How do I tell schools Thanks but no thanks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZashJMJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello doctors, I have a question that I'm sure a few of you would have the answer to.

I've been accepted into multiple schools. I need to send a letter of rejection to the schools I will not be attending. Must be nice to be doing the rejection eh?

Anyways, what do I include in the letter? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Something to the effect that thank you for considering my application to your institution and that although I was given an acceptance and the opportunity to attend such a great institution, I have decided to accept the offer from ......... Please withdraw my acceptance and allow someone else to take my seat for the Class of 2007.

Although I may not be attending your medical school, I'm sure that some time down the road that I will remember the experience I had when I visited your campus.

I look forward to being a future colleague and possibly working with some of your graduates someday....

blah, blah, blah..... you insert the rest..... I would copy and paste what I wrote 2 years ago but that's pretty much what I said....

Congratulations on your multiple acceptance, but remember that as you write your letter to them that you need to stay professional as possible....

You might find this hard to believe, but the admissions committees of the schools you're turning down have better things to do at this time than reading a rejection letter from you. :laugh: Just take care of what you need to do for the program you'll be attending. And congratulations on your acceptance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely disagree with wanna_be_do..... It's professional courtesy to send a letter or in some other manner to tell them you will not be attending their institution....

So although wanna_be_do may be right that they may have no time for you and you can chose to opt that way, then you're not being courteous to the other applicants that are in the waitlist....

Just realize that someone may be waiting for your seat....

Golden rule: Do unto others as you want them to do unto you.

Heres what you should do: Ask them politly, in the form of a 1 page essay, to explain why they believe you should go to their school. Please have them include what makes their school different from others as well as what this school can do for your outside interests as well as your academics. Then have them enclose a $60 check and get back to them w/in 6-8 weeks with your decision.

Remember to tell them that the decision will be made on the school as a whole, not just their academic acheivments. Your looking for a well rounded school. :laugh:

That would be so funny if someone actually did that. I wonder how the school would react.

For the schools I decided not to attend, I sent a short, simple letter thanking them for considering me and for the acceptance. Then I said that after some consideration, I had to respectfully decline their offer. I said thanks again and left it at that.

I don't think you really need to go into great detail. I doubt most schools will take the time to read a lengthy letter--especially if you are just saying, "I'm not going to attend."

Some schools followed up with a letter saying that my name would be removed from the list and included a questionnaire asking why I made my decision (but that was only like 3 schools).

Just call them and rescind your acceptance. I think they'd rather know sooner rather than after the several days it will take the letter to reach them, so that they can offer the spot to someone on the waiting list now.