How Do I Transition Into Biomedical Research from Neuropsychology Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntsInMyEyes_Johnson

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was in the same position as you.. psych major, TBI lab research assistant, even a super-senior. It can be tough to get into a lab that will only take you for one year, especially in another department. I suggest starting by looking within your department, even within your current lab. Sometimes there are really interesting projects going on around you that you may not know about until you ask. In my case, I ended up going from coding neuropsychological assessments (yawn...) to working on a longitudinal TBI study looking for structural and functional MRI changes. It ended up bringing me closer to the more basic sciences - in this case, MRI physics and mathematics (computer programming). If you're looking to really get your hands dirty in something like biology or chemistry labs, you might try to score a position in a lab in another department. If I were you, I might even offer to start in the summer to sweeten the deal for the PI.

I did the same. People get that when you're young, you change your mind. They won't hold it against you. Literally, just email a bunch of labs with your CV and ask if they're looking for someone. You'll get a lot of radio silence but eventually you'll hear the music