Medical How do I try to finance postbacc or master's programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a recent college grad and I want to apply to medical school but my gpa was not very strong in undergrad. My advisor very casually mentioned to just apply to another program like a postbacc or masters, but I really can not afford another program right now. I started working a job after graduation but I'm still unsure if I can finance a whole other program, even at community college. My advisor says that because this is the only weak portion of my application, that is literally the only thing that I could address to make myself a stronger applicant. Is it true that working in a clinic or lab (where I can get paid) will not strengthen my application as much as being in a postbacc program? If so, does anyone have advice on how to navigate this as a low income student? I was lucky to make it through college without loans and I know I will have to take them out for med school, so I'm really trying to avoid taking more out now. Any advice? Thank you!
I don't discount or discourage anyone from working to save money to go to professional school. Your financial aid there is dependent on loans, and anything you can do to save before going is always a good idea to me. Medical school and graduate school are going to be there and plenty of applicants who worked before going back to school.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So do you have any recommendation for addressing a low gpa? I’m not sure how I can show medical schools that I know my weak spot on my application and am actively working to improve it.
Read Goro's post on reinvention. But if you can't afford to go, don't try to force it. The pot of money for graduate and professional school is separate from undergraduate, but be prudent with your plans. Your credit rating will depend on debt taken on so having some of your undergrad debt paid off will help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.