How do I write an email to a dentist asking to do observation hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ale0

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called a dental clinic near me and I was told to send an email to the doctor. The email address they gave me is for sending emails for job opportunities to the doctor but they told me to clarify that I'm wanting to do some observation hours with a dental hygienist. I finished writing the email but I need some advice on it. I'm not sure if there is anything else I should be adding, like stating the times I could come in to do the hours, add my phone number, or anything that anyone can tell me to write that would help me send a good email.
This is what I wrote:
Good afternoon Dr.XX,
My name is XXXX. I’m a pre-dental hygiene student at XXX college. I’m not contacting you about a job opportunity but I would love to have an opportunity to do some observation hours with a licensed dental hygienist at your clinic. I want to further my education and learn more about the duty of dental hygienists to determine if this is the right career path for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I would add in a line, thanking him for taking time out of his day and consideration, and also you were right - it is a good idea at the end of the email to provide a phone number Incase it is the dentist’s preference for how to respond. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't send them emails or call them... go see them personally...

The chance of you getting a shadowing position will be significantly better when you visit them.

Reactions: 3 users