How do Intnernational Medical Graduates get licensed in the States?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawliet2008

Nobody mess with Adam We
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first timer on this forum here. I've got what is probably an annoying question for you, but if anyone could answer or redirect me, it would be greatly appreciated :D.

I am a Canadian who finished a B.Sc in Toronto, and is now studying medicine in North Africa. People have advised me to forget about getting licensed at home in Canada and just aim for the U.S. Where do I start? What is the process? Any help at all would make my day ;).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, first timer on this forum here. I've got what is probably an annoying question for you, but if anyone could answer or redirect me, it would be greatly appreciated :D.

I am a Canadian who finished a B.Sc in Toronto, and is now studying medicine in North Africa. People have advised me to forget about getting licensed at home in Canada and just aim for the U.S. Where do I start? What is the process? Any help at all would make my day ;).

You probably will have better luck reading through or asking your question on one of the international boards; folks who post in allo are largely in US allo schools and won't face your hurdles. I imagine you have to take several of the steps and do well, and then apply to residencies through ERAS as an IMG. Bear in mind that the percentage of folks from non-US schools who match into the US is about 40%, and a healthy percentage of these are US students from the caribbean, some of whom did rotations in the US or otherwise had useful contacts. But sure, we do have more residency slots than US graduates at present, so some number of folks educated abroad will find positions (most often in the primary care fields). Good luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Cliff notes:

• You take the USMLE (Step 1, 2CK, and 2CS). You need to do as well on these as possible, so make sure you study well.
  • You do a rotation in the US while a student in Africa. This can be difficult to arrange, but will help you immensely in the future.
  • You apply in the NRMP match the year you graduate, to start training the following July.
  • You will need ECFMG ceritification. This requires the USMLE steps above + graduation from medical school. Some programs require full ECFMG certification to be interviewed (which means you would actually have to fully graduate from medical school before application season), some will interview you as long as your ECFMG will be complete by July.
  • You will need a visa, and will need to review the J and H visa programs to see which best fits your needs. Of note, H visas require Step 3 of the USMLE also, so you might need to do that.
  • You apply via ERAS to residency programs in your chosen field. Some fields are very competitive. IMG's tend to have much trouble getting spots in those fields.
  • You (hopefully) are selected to interview. Interviews are Nov - Feb. This might require extensive travel on your part.
  • You either are offered a spot outside the match, or go through the match and get a spot. Either way, you know by March whether you have a spot or not.
  • You get your visa.
  • You arrive at your residency program, work hard, and complete it.
  • You take Step 3 of the USMLE during your residency if not done earlier.
  • You can now start applying for state licenses to practice medicine.

You may find you have an upward climb here. Although the US does have many IMG's, most are Carib / UK-Ireland-Europe / Pakistan-India-Middle east. I have not seen many applicants from Africa.

I have met some kids who are in a similar situation as me, but they're Amerians and I'm the only Canadian who wants to study in the States. Looks like this might actually be harder than applying for med school. Wow, okay, thanks guys, you're awesome...this is why I love SDN :thumbup:.

I have met some kids who are in a similar situation as me, but they're Amerians and I'm the only Canadian who wants to study in the States. Looks like this might actually be harder than applying for med school. Wow, okay, thanks guys, you're awesome...this is why I love SDN :thumbup:.

You're not the only Canadian who wants to study in the US! I'm currently a med student in the US (no permanent residency or citizenship), so it is doable. :D Work hard and you will get to where you want to be!

Sure, the visa issues makes it hard for residency, but I'll get to that when the time comes. Good luck with the medical school application process! It's financially and emotionally draining.

Last edited: