How Do Kaplan Tests Compare To the Real Deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read an old (too old) thread that said Kaplan tests are harder, is this still true of all parts of the DAT>
THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

no. I took the Kaplan course and their tests are a jokes compared to the real DAT. Kaplan tests, especially the bio section, is just regurgitating a bunch of facts. The real DAT is a lot more conceptual. Hope that helps.

I would have to agree. I just took the real DAT 2 days ago and found that some stuff was on there that was not covered in the kaplan books. I did, however, get close to the same score for each. (19 kaplan, 20 real DAT)

i agree kaplan is a skam they make you think its soooooooooooooo easy but its not they totally fool you and take your $$$ i hated it

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Kaplan is similar to the real DAT in BIO, Ochem, RC sections. Some people think kaplan's bio section is not enough. But be sure to read the detail explanation in the answer key (if you take the kaplan course, they give you the key and explanation for every single question of the exams). The explanation contains a lot more extra info on top of the bio section in the kaplan book.

I am gonna have to agree with the other post that the kaplan test is way easier than the actual dat ( i've only taken the canadian dat last Nov). There was one question about gel electrophoresis :eek:. who would've thought there maybe such question? I really think i made a mistake by taking kaplan in class preps cuz they only take your money. and if you are a science major then probably you dont need it just buy the prep books and practice as much as you can. Hope this helps:)

the only sections that were like the DAT was the chem, o-chem and RC. The PAT, Bio and QR were tougher on the real DAT

FIRST DAT - BE CAREFUL!

At my test place in California near LA,

They gave me a magic pen and small plastic board that I can jot down several things and then erase with that eraser used for white board. (one of magic pen didn't work at the first glance, but it suddenly worked?? M..agic pen)

Hm..Cool!

I have been to rest room 5-6times during the test. I think I was too nervous, so my concerning was all about when to go to the rest room. (one more thing to include in time management strategy)

But, that also allowed me to complete the first passage of reading section in 9minitues with great feeling (ultra fast concentration). Then, I was supposed to go to the rest room, but I was too overexicted at the fact that I may get the best score on verbal section that I ever ever made. So, I keep reading the second one, which was really familiar topic (related with my major - like applied bio/health) even though I really had to go to the rest room. So, I think I got lower score at the second passage.

However, wow!
Third passage was just what I had predicted!! Exactly, what I think the most likely content as far as medical ethics is concerned.

Anyway, I got lower score on verbal than I had expected. (pretty satisfactory, though!)
It was all because of that damn physiological matter...Damn~ (Familiar passage, predicted one,but bath room!!)

So, be careful!

You may have to go to the rest room more than 5times during the test. Even I have been rest room twice during a section. I don't remember exactly which section it was, though!

So, anyway, my percentile was overall 98.1% / All Science 99.3%.
Ochem-100%