How do Med schools calculate SMPs into the equation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicinewoman85

Thats what she says
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says, I'm wondering how do schools consider your GPA when you throw a SMP into the mix. Do they add it to your undergrad, is it seperate?? Is it weighed more heavily than undergrad if you did well? I have a year left of school and I plan to go straight into a SMP. My cumulative will be around 3.0-3.1. Will a SMP bring up my cum. or are they two seperate beast? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's listed separately and added into your cGPA.

Just as the title says, I'm wondering how do schools consider your GPA when you throw a SMP into the mix. Do they add it to your undergrad, is it seperate??

Yes, it is. It represent a chance to show what you're truely capable of, and that a poor uGPA was a fluke brought on by life proplems, illness, immaturity etc.

Is it weighed more heavily than undergrad if you did well?

Yes, it will, especially with AACOMAS' grade replacement policy for DO programs. Even for some MD schools, a 3.7+ gGPA will get you noticed, even if the final cGPA is, say, 3.2.

I have a year left of school and I plan to go straight into a SMP. My cumulative will be around 3.0-3.1. Will a SMP bring up my cum. or are they two seperate beast?