How do med schools group GPA by year when applicant has more than 2 years in community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ancientbarracuda

Reaction score
So med schools look at each year of undergrad & postbacc or whatever else after that. But what about spending super long in community college part-time before transferring to a university?

I read somewhere that med schools look at freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior year individually, then "any additional classes" are included with senior year. I spent 3 years at university after transferring because I double majored. So I assume this means my 2nd & 3rd years at university will be grouped together as "senior year" ok fine. But what about my other 3.5 academic years of CC classes before that?

I took a CC class the summer after my 11th grade in high school, graduated one semester into my senior year in HS, took 2 classes that spring semester (technically a HS grad already) and then 1 class that same summer. Thereafter I took between 1-3 classes per semester (including summers) for the next 3 years because I was working full time to support myself. I basically have CC units every single term for over 3 years between graduating HS & enrolling at university. Then 3 years there full time, very heavy course load, strong upward trend.

Does this mean that my CC classes from high school and one of my academic years from part-time enrollment in CC after that, is grouped with my 2nd & 3rd year ("senior year + anything else") GPA from university?? And for "freshman & sophomore years," which year is classified as which? Would my "freshman year" be starting the spring semester of CC after I graduated HS? I literally have like 6 years total here. But for example the academic year preceding my enrollment at university, I only took 1 class each semester then took the summer off to work before moving to university. Would that really be considered a "sophomore year" or something? My CC classes were sparse in general, I never had more than like 9 units in 1 term.

Has anyone heard of a situation like this?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I took a CC class the summer after my 11th grade in high school, graduated one semester into my senior year in HS

Anything taken before HS graduation is considered separately and labeled as having been taken while in HS.
, took 2 classes that spring semester (technically a HS grad already) and then 1 class that same summer. Thereafter I took between 1-3 classes per semester (including summers) for the next 3 years because I was working full time to support myself.

The first 30 credits or so (equivalent to one year of college) will be labeled freshman year.
Would my "freshman year" be starting the spring semester of CC after I graduated HS?
yes
______
The table for GPA has 7 possible rows:
Courses taken before HS graduation
Freshman year (first 30 credits after HS graduation)
Sophomore year (next 30 credits)
Junior year (next 30 credits)
Senior year (everything beyond those first 90 credits after college graduation)
Post-bac (undergraduate courses taken after college graduation)
Graduate (graduate courses taken after college graduation)

Reactions: 2 users
Anything taken before HS graduation is considered separately and labeled as having been taken while in HS.

The first 30 credits or so (equivalent to one year of college) will be labeled freshman year. yes
______
The table for GPA has 7 possible rows:
Courses taken before HS graduation
Freshman year (first 30 credits after HS graduation)
Sophomore year (next 30 credits)
Junior year (next 30 credits)
Senior year (everything beyond those first 90 credits after college graduation)
Post-bac (undergraduate courses taken after college graduation)
Graduate (graduate courses taken after college graduation)
Thank you!! I know W's don't count in GPA but do the units count towards the ~30 still when determining levels?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! I know W's don't count in GPA but do the units count towards the ~30 still when determining levels?
How can they if they don't represent credits earned? Literally, they each count as "0" towards the ~30.