How Do Med Schools Know If You Have Taken An Online Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SyrianHero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some med schools say that they don't accept online courses, but some universities offer online classes and don't indicate on the transcript that the class was taken online, so how do med schools figure out if a class has been taken online?

Members don't see this ad.

Transcripts usually say if the course was online...could say on the official transcript. If by some chance your school doesn't, then I don't see how they could find out. Up to you to be honest at that point.

But if you are find out somehow, they could take away an acceptance if given to you. You never know the resources these schools have to find information.

Transcripts usually say if the course was online...could say on the official transcript. If by some chance your school doesn't, then I don't see how they could find out. Up to you to be honest at that point.

But if you are find out somehow, they could take away an acceptance if given to you. You never know the resources these schools have to find information.

It's up to me to be honest, but do they actually ask anywhere on their application if I have taken an online course? If not, then I don't see how applying would be dishonest given that I never said anything that wasn't true.

Members don't see this ad :)

I highly disagree. My college runs an online program that specifically states that they will not list on the transcript that your classes were online (it also has its own medical school).

If the transcript doesnt say online or anything of the sort then you'll be fine.

It's up to me to be honest, but do they actually ask anywhere on their application if I have taken an online course? If not, then I don't see how applying would be dishonest given that I never said anything that wasn't true.

I'm almost certain that when you fill out the information for each course on AMCAS, there's a box to check for "online." Not completely sure as I haven't seen the AMCAS in over a year, but pretty sure!

I'm almost certain that when you fill out the information for each course on AMCAS, there's a box to check for "online." Not completely sure as I haven't seen the AMCAS in over a year, but pretty sure!

Anyone know if this is true?

They don't care about most classes except your pre-req's. A ton of my secondaries asked me to list the courses to fulfill the pre-req's for that school and I am pretty sure there was an "online course" check box next to them.

Some med schools say that they don't accept online courses, but some universities offer online classes and don't indicate on the transcript that the class was taken online, so how do med schools figure out if a class has been taken online?

They won't figure it out unless you tell them.

So take this secret to your grave, lest you be ratted out and stripped of all your achievements and your name permanently dishonored.

Reactions: 1 user
The member you quoted hasn't visited SDN since the end of 2013. In case you want to start a list, I'll toss it out there that all Texas public med schools require that information on the Primary.

lol Necro bump