SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

how do med schools view undergrad transfer credits??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drew's your daddy, Dec 8, 2001.

1. drew's your daddy

drew's your daddy Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2001
    here at mich. st., one can take classes over the summer at a community college or the like and the credit will transfer, but the grade will not. for example, if i were to take a calc class over the summer and got a 4.0 i would only get credit. if i got a 2.5 i would get the same credit. does anyone know if med schools factor in the grade from classes at other classes?

thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Every class counts on AMCAS regardless if your undergraduate institution doesn't count the transfer hours towards grades (Texas A&M does the same thing as your school).

4. none

none 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    In general, what your school does with units plays almost no role in what AMCAS does with it. The only real exception is AP units. If they aren't listed on a transcript, med schools aren't going to be interested in them, even if your school did grant you units.

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Virginia
    AMCAS looks at all grades. And EVERY grade is worked into your GPA. I took 4 college classes in my senior year of high school 17 years ago. Those grades were factered into my GPA and unfortunately 2 of them were C's. Luckily they weren't science grades so they didn't affect the science GPA, just the overall GPA.

6. gower

gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    If you take course elsewhere, and if the credits transfer (whether or not a grade transfers), and the credits appear on your home college transcript), OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS, even for a summer session PE course, MUST BE SENT TO AMCAS FROM THE REGISTRAR OF THE COLLEGE WHERE YOU TOOK THE COURSE(S).

If you take too many courses, especially science courses, elsewhere than your home college, and at too many different colleges or community colleges, you are not advancing your cause. Questions will be raised about why? Just what you would do if you were sitting on the other side of the desk, and what you suspect by even asking the question.

7. drew's your daddy

drew's your daddy Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2001