Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

How do medical school read GPA?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by ZhouMD, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. ZhouMD

ZhouMD

Pre-Medical
    I personally attent a tier-3 small private university for one year ( major in bio and GPA 4.0) and then transfer to a top 20 large private university (double major in biomedical engineering and bio, cGPA 3.4). So I know it is way easier to get good grade in lower-ranked universities. But what does medical schools think? Please help.

Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BrawnsNBrain

BrawnsNBrain Twitter: @BrawnsNBrain

Medical Student
    I'm not an admissions member but I do not believe there is a 'conversion chart' that exists for each individual college/university with an 'inflation factor' i.e. easier to get an A in a community college than a state school. With that being said, unless you're going to a top ivy league school, I don't believe your 3.4gpa is suddenly going to look like a 3.9 in adcom's eyes (even if you did go to a top ivy that 3.4 wouldn't look like a 3.9 ha!)

4. ZhouMD

ZhouMD

Pre-Medical
    I think you are right. I hoped I went to a community college and majored in ECON. :shrug:

5. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    The decline in grades will be noted as a negative. You're expected to do well no matter where you are. Prestige of a UG program is more of a reality in the minds of pre-meds than Adcoms. If you attend a feeder school, the med school knows of the quality of your program.

6. ZhouMD

ZhouMD

Pre-Medical
    Thanks Goro. Do you think I can still increase my chance by scoring higher on mcat. I am taking in June, and i am among at 37

7. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    No matter what, you need to have your written submissions checked by a native English speaker.
    Your writing is a bit hard to follow!

The Milkman likes this.
  8. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    A cGPA of 3.4 is still competitive, even if above avg. So, do well on MCAT and you'll be fine. Heed the learned gyngyn's advice very well. The MCAT is often lethal for ESL.

About the ads