How do medical school read GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZhouMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally attent a tier-3 small private university for one year ( major in bio and GPA 4.0) and then transfer to a top 20 large private university (double major in biomedical engineering and bio, cGPA 3.4). So I know it is way easier to get good grade in lower-ranked universities. But what does medical schools think? Please help.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an admissions member but I do not believe there is a 'conversion chart' that exists for each individual college/university with an 'inflation factor' i.e. easier to get an A in a community college than a state school. With that being said, unless you're going to a top ivy league school, I don't believe your 3.4gpa is suddenly going to look like a 3.9 in adcom's eyes (even if you did go to a top ivy that 3.4 wouldn't look like a 3.9 ha!)

I think you are right. I hoped I went to a community college and majored in ECON. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
The decline in grades will be noted as a negative. You're expected to do well no matter where you are. Prestige of a UG program is more of a reality in the minds of pre-meds than Adcoms. If you attend a feeder school, the med school knows of the quality of your program.

I personally attent a tier-3 small private university for one year ( major in bio and GPA 4.0) and then transfer to a top 20 large private university (double major in biomedical engineering and bio, cGPA 3.4). So I know it is way easier to get good grade in lower-ranked universities. But what does medical schools think? Please help.

Thanks

The decline in grades will be noted as a negative. You're expected to do well no matter where you are. Prestige of a UG program is more of a reality in the minds of pre-meds than Adcoms. If you attend a feeder school, the med school knows of the quality of your program.
Thanks Goro. Do you think I can still increase my chance by scoring higher on mcat. I am taking in June, and i am among at 37

A cGPA of 3.4 is still competitive, even if above avg. So, do well on MCAT and you'll be fine. Heed the learned gyngyn's advice very well. The MCAT is often lethal for ESL.

Thanks Goro. Do you think I can still increase my chance by scoring higher on mcat. I am taking in June, and i am among at 37