How do medical school view out of state applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading a forum earlier on this topic, however, I'm not sure how medical schools view out of state applicants. Is it harder for out of state applicants to get a seat? Or is it easier? Do medical schools prefer in-state students?

Members don't see this ad.

Public schools prefer IS students..for OOS, you have to have really good stats...Private could care less (usually)

Reactions: 1 users
State medical schools ( University of _____ medical school) will have a strong preference for in-state applicants since it's in their charter. Private medical schools like Gtown, George Washington, Harvard, Hopkinds, etc will take the most qualified applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
State schools prefer IS students, except for most public California schools.

For future reference, I recommend purchasing the MSAR, as it will tell you the breakdown of IS/OOS.

VCU and U VM seem to be exceptions to the rule.

A handful of private schools favor IS, like TCMC and Mercer.

Some private schools also have a surface bias (like some of the Chicago schools) of IS, but that's because they're like CA and have a bounty of competitive candidates already IS. I don't know if IL and PA are net exporters of med students like CA is though.

State medical schools ( University of _____ medical school) will have a strong preference for in-state applicants since it's in their charter. Private medical schools like Gtown, George Washington, Harvard, Hopkinds, etc will take the most qualified applicants.

I feel like even private schools would have some instate bias for interviews because those students would be more likely to matriculate locally if given an acceptance.

Some private schools also have a surface bias (like some of the Chicago schools) of IS, but that's because they're like CA and have a bounty of competitive candidates already IS. I don't know if IL and PA are net exporters of med students like CA is though.

I beleive we PAers travel. Temple and TCMC are the only PA schools that have a majority of their class in-state. We really don't have any in-state medical schools.

Actually we matriculate more in state. Who knew? I guess you could really crunch the numbers and see how many total seats PA schools have and how many we matriculate in state.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

PA is a very solid state to be a resident of for Med School purposes. There is no state school but there are tons of schools in PA and all except Pitt and Penn show a level of bias towards IS(ie the % chance of getting an II from PA is way higher at Temple, Drexel, Penn State, Jefferson and TCMC IS than OOS). TCMC by giving II's to 40% of PA residents basically functions as a state school, and a good one at that giving a higher proportion of II's to their own than a decent majority of state schools. Alot of PA residents are able to have success at WVU as well, particularly those in the western part of the state.

For the OP https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstable1.pdf

That link will answer all your questions and remove speculation.

PA is a very solid state to be a resident of for Med School purposes. There is no state school but there are tons of schools in PA and all except Pitt and Penn show a level of bias towards IS(ie the % chance of getting an II from PA is way higher at Temple, Drexel, Penn State, Jefferson and TCMC IS than OOS). TCMC by giving II's to 40% of PA residents basically functions as a state school, and a good one at that giving a higher proportion of II's to their own than a decent majority of state schools. Alot of PA residents are able to have success at WVU as well, particularly those in the western part of the state.

Yeah its not as bad as some other states, it's just for tuition purposes at Pitt, Temple, and Penn State we get no love. At my Pitt interview I was floored to see the in state tuition break was about a 1200 dollars a year. Penn State and Temple are not really any better. But I will agree I would take being in PA (for med school purposes) over CA any day.

Yeah its not as bad as some other states, it's just for tuition purposes at Pitt, Temple, and Penn State we get no love. At my Pitt interview I was floored to see the in state tuition break was about a 1200 dollars a year. Penn State and Temple are not really any better. But I will agree I would take being in PA (for med school purposes) over CA any day.

The tuition for PA schools is always awful. But PA in general I think has the 14th highest % of applicants who matriculate IS in the country and many of the states ahead of them are small states with a small number of med school applicants like MS, Arkansas etc. So yeah, PA is a good state for admission purposes. It's probably up there with Georgia, Ohio and Michigan(and probably 1-2 others) as one of the best states with a significant population to be a resident of for med school purposes. I actually think if PA had a state school the % of people who matriculate IS from PA would go up a little and the % of PA residents who matriculate OOS would go down which kind of shows how favorable a state it is despite all of this.

Reactions: 1 user