How do medical schools deal with AP credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUDREYHEPBURNFAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I passed 11 AP exams with 4s and 5s and I was wondering how medical schools deal with AP credit. I have already taken gen. bio and gen. chem even though I received 5s on both AP exams because an advisor said it was better to take prereqs at a university. Is this true? I also took the Physics B exam, which is non-calculus based and I was wondering if I should take physics at school anyways.If I should, then is it better to take the calculus based physics or are two semesters of intro. to physics sufficient for the MCAT and medical school? What about calculus? I took the AB exam, which only exempts me from one semester of calc and I was wondering if AP credit is sufficient for allopathic schools. Do most med schools require one or two semesters of calculus? I now realize that taking all those AP exams was pointless because I just have tons of elective units. I should have been more selective of what exams I took because all that strenuous work was for nothing. As far as the science exams, it seems I shouldn't have taken them because I have to take the courses anyways right? Or am I wrong? I would greatly appreciate input and advice from those of you who are in the process of applying or have applied to medical school. I would really really appreciate your time! Thank you! =)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not applying to medical school yet, but I've heard some things on this topic. I've heard some people say their credit was accepted and other people say it wasn't. I think it really depends on the particular class and medical school. You'll probably want to write or call the medical schools you're interested in and ask what their policy is.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The only one worth substituting would be Chem. You can use BioChem in place of chem, but you should have a grade for all the prereqs. Med Schools want to see a grade, and with your performance, i'm sure you are shooting at the top schools.