Medical How do medical schools look at online pre-requisites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a question, I just finished my pre-med, I decided to do a bachelors of science in nursing. I was able to finish the program through University of Phoenix and graduated with honors. The program was both online and on campus, though the core nursing classes were purely on campus. Currently working on my prerequisites. It is online through University of New England.

Now, I know UOP is not highly ranked. Do you guys think it’ll be an issue when I start applying for med school???
Many med schools do not accept online credits.

Members don't see this ad.

University of Phoenix is not looked upon highly. You'll have a possible slight issue with a great deal of your degree online.

The biggest issue though is you taking pre-reqs online. Many schools DO NOT accept online pre-reqs. Of those that do, most put a limit by either credits or number of courses - generally not more than 8 credits or 2 courses, some may ever further limit to 4 credits/1 course.

You need to be going in person for all of your pre-reqs at this point, and due to where the degree is from and much of it online, you may benefit more from doing a post-bacc.

Add to my above colleagues' comments about in-person prerequisites a longstanding prejudice on the part of members of an Adcom against other allied health professionals (except Dentistry if they are tracked through the Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery program). It's not openly talked about, but I have definitely noticed that allied health professionals have a harder time and less benefit of the doubt about the prerequisites.

If your undergraduate is nursing, there is a specific expectation that you possess a license, have any and all licenses in current good standing, and that at least one of the licenses was used in verifiable practice (as in, the particular Board would consider the work active practice even if not for pay) for at least a nominal amount of time. For both of the schools that I serve on the adcom, anyone who is qualified for practice that possesses a license that is not in good standing for disciplinary reasons (even non-healthcare ones) are automatically rejected without consideration. Those that do not have any active practice licenses or do not practice at all with an active license have the burden to explain to the adcom and usually in the interview on why this is the case.

I professionally will automatically reject any applicant that is otherwise educationally qualified to practice in a healthcare profession who has never possessed a license or has never engaged in professional practice. There are just too many red flags with that situation from professional experience that I consider this non-admissible even with stellar numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.