How do my plans for this upcoming semester and then my post-bacc sound?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm a senior. I've made posts before (some of you might have seen them). My GPA is pretty low. Heading into this semester, I had a 2.82 OGPA and a 2.24 SGPA. My low grades can be attributed to a poor first 2/2.5 years where I was unfocused, unhappy, and didn't have the study techniques. Because of this, I have quite a bit of work to do.

These are my science class grades

bio1 B-
bio1 lab C+
zoo B
micro D
200s level bio elective A-
cell C-
cell lab C-
bio seminar A-

chem1 D--->B-
chem1L C---->F (yes this is embarrassing, it's a long story)
chem2 D
chem2L B-
orgo1 D+--->A
orgo1L B-
orgo2 B-
orgo2L B-
100s level chem elective B
200s level chem elective B+

I retook orgo this past semester, and that raised my SGPA to a 2.34.

Next semester I'm taking two 400 level bio classes (biopharmacology and endocrinology). I was wondering if that is a good idea.

After I graduate, I intend to retake chem lab AGAIN, and then chem 2 lecture. then for my post-bacc, I was planning on taking the physics sequence along with 2-3 bio classes.

Assuming I do well in my post-bacc and get my SGPA over a 2.7X, should I even go for a SMP? I know this also depends on my DAT score.

My ECs are as follows:
-Unique job since 2016
-Volunteering since 2015 at 1 place
-member of a couple clubs
-I also have my own (very) small business, which is related to my job.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would do an SMP over a post-bacc, especially one that leads to a "guaranteed" seat in a dental school. Also, take the 400 courses only if you know you can do well in them (like B+ and higher only). I would also possibly look into retaking micro, as that is a pre-req for some schools I believe.

A sGPA over 2.7 does not show schools that you can handle the rigor of dental school. It's by no means easy, and the courseload is double of what you need to be full-time in undergrad (UCLA is a quarter-system school, and this first quarter was 23 units). It's hard, and they want people that will succeed. This post is not meant to be disheartening, but I think a Master's program is the best route for you to take due to you already being a senior. A post-bacc would just increase/influence your undergrad GPAs, whereas a Master's program would essentially be a fresh start, with a tough courseload, and something that will prepare you for dental school. Be sure to also score well on the DAT, like at minimum a 21 in all sections.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do an SMP over a post-bacc, especially one that leads to a "guaranteed" seat in a dental school. Also, take the 400 courses only if you know you can do well in them (like B+ and higher only). I would also possibly look into retaking micro, as that is a pre-req for some schools I believe.

A sGPA over 2.7 does not show schools that you can handle the rigor of dental school. It's by no means easy, and the courseload is double of what you need to be full-time in undergrad (UCLA is a quarter-system school, and this first quarter was 23 units). It's hard, and they want people that will succeed. This post is not meant to be disheartening, but I think a Master's program is the best route for you to take due to you already being a senior. A post-bacc would just increase/influence your undergrad GPAs, whereas a Master's program would essentially be a fresh start, with a tough courseload, and something that will prepare you for dental school. Be sure to also score well on the DAT, like at minimum a 21 in all sections.

Good luck!

No worries, your reply isn't disheartening. I'm planning on taking the two 400 level courses is the same semester as sort of a "test run" to see if I can handle multiple upper level science courses at once. I took bio 2 with that professor so I know they're a good professor. Would you still recommend only taking 1 of them? I feel like I can do well since they would be my most time consuming classes.

Also, would you recommend doing any other ECs? I intend to start shadowing soon (like this week).

Last edited:
No worries, your reply isn't disheartening. I'm planning on taking the two 400 level courses is the same semester as sort of a "test run" to see if I can handle multiple upper level science courses at once. I took bio 2/zoo with him so I know he's a good professor. Would you still recommend only taking 1 of them? I feel like I can do well since they would be my most time consuming classes.

Also, would you recommend doing any other ECs? I intend to start shadowing soon (like this week).
You can take both but again, make sure you do really do well in them, like getting nothing lower than B+s.
You didn't say how many volunteering hours you had, but I would get them up to about 100-200. Shadowing, aim for like 150. It's probably too late to try for a board position....so maybe you can try volunteering at another place (doesn't have to be dental-related). If you've already hit a bunch of hours with the place you've been at for 3 years, then volunteer elsewhere, in a different environment- this will show diversity in your activities.

You can take both but again, make sure you do really do well in them, like getting nothing lower than B+s.
You didn't say how many volunteering hours you had, but I would get them up to about 100-200. Shadowing, aim for like 150. It's probably too late to try for a board position....so maybe you can try volunteering at another place (doesn't have to be dental-related). If you've already hit a bunch of hours with the place you've been at for 3 years, then volunteer elsewhere, in a different environment- this will show diversity in your activities.

Have you taken either of those classes at the undergrad level, and if so, do you have any advice?

I have a good amount of volunteering hours, maybe 400 in total. I'll see if I can volunteer somewhere else too.

Have you taken either of those classes at the undergrad level, and if so, do you have any advice?

I have a good amount of volunteering hours, maybe 400 in total. I'll see if I can volunteer somewhere else too.
Nope, I didn't take either of those but I took others like Virology, Cell Physio, Immunology, Evolution, etc and they were okay for me, but I know others struggled. Immunology lab was the only lab I've ever gotten a B in (no +/- given) and it dropped my GPA lol. You really have to be on top of it in order to do well.

400 is pretty good but it's only at 1 place, so it'd be best to spread out and volunteer elsewhere for a bit too.

Nope, I didn't take either of those but I took others like Virology, Cell Physio, Immunology, Evolution, etc and they were okay for me, but I know others struggled. Immunology lab was the only lab I've ever gotten a B in (no +/- given) and it dropped my GPA lol. You really have to be on top of it in order to do well.

400 is pretty good but it's only at 1 place, so it'd be best to spread out and volunteer elsewhere for a bit too.

Thanks. I forgot to ask: I still need to take physics. do you have any tips for it? I would take the algebra based one. should I take a math class beforehand?

Thanks. I forgot to ask: I still need to take physics. do you have any tips for it? I would take the algebra based one. should I take a math class beforehand?
Yup, especially if it's been a few years since you took algebra. I loved math but physics is just entirely different lol. It's not hard, but it can easily trip you up.

Yup, especially if it's been a few years since you took algebra. I loved math but physics is just entirely different lol. It's not hard, but it can easily trip you up.

thank you

Reactions: 1 user