How do my stats sound so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wan2BanMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am a third year developmental and cell biology major at UC Irvine. My cumulative GPA is a 3.65, and my science GPA is a 3.5. I have not yet taken my MCAT.

My volunteer experience includes 75 hours at a private practice (helping with office tasks, vitals, and shadowing), 400 hours at Hoag hospital helping out on the floors (work on the oncology, medical surgical, labor and delivery, and Main OR floors) and training new interns in hospital protocol (leadership team), as well at 100 hours in Costa Rica working on a local ambulance (my Spanish is mediocre). I also took Spanish classes while abroad, and lived with a Costa Rican local family. I plan on returning this summer to volunteer again.

I am EMT, BLS, and ACLS certified/licensed (utilized in Costa Rica), and have also taken courses on performing 12-lead EKGs, which I also used in Costa Rica. I also have approximately 30 hours of volunteer work in the ER at a small hospital performing EKGs.

As far as extracurriculars go, I am a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority, as well as several honors societies (Rho Lambda - secretary; Order of Omega; Gamma Sigma Alpha; NSCS; Golden Key; and a few more). I am also on the Student Advisory Board for Students with Disabilities at my school, and have completed several leadership seminar series at UCI. I have also been an intern for the academic section of my school's student government system.

For research, I have currently been working in my lab for about a year. I have 2 independent projects, and average 20 hours a week in my lab (which is on neural development). I breed, genotype, dissect, perfuse, section, antibody stain, and photograph the brains of mice during different stages of development to trace BMP movement, and determine how the sharp borders in the brain are formed (its really pretty cool). I received $600 in grants for one of my projects, which I will be presenting at a symposium this May, and my other project is publication worthy and will be presented next May with a poster, paper, and talk.

I have letters from my upper division bio lab/writing professor, my EMT course instructor, my honors humanities course writing instructor, research PI (MD/PhD), and Hoag Director (clinical), and am going to get another from a different upper division bio instructor, all of which I know to be very strong recommendations.

How are my stats sounding so far? What MCAT score would be acceptable? I am aiming for around a 34... I would really like to go to school in CA. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, and I would definitely say I got a lot of shadowing at Hoag. I saw open heart surgeries (in the room), deliveries, spinal surgeries, DaVinci robot internal procedures, hip/knee replacements, mastectomies... you name it. I also assisted nurses in feeding/caring for patients, etc.

Do you think I would have a chance at any of the more prestigious schools?

Terrific. The clubs / honor socs aren't worth that much unless you have a leadership position. You have a really unique Costa Rica EMT story!

So far I don't see anything missing from your application! Get a 33+ MCAT to have a great chance at a UC. You're a shoo-in for anywhere else with a ~30 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a ton of awesome ECs that are really going to serve you well. Like the above poster said, memberships to clubs/organizations don't mean much unless you are actively involved or in a leadership position of some kind. The GPA isn't bad, but if your extracurriculars are a 10, that GPA may be a 7 or so. It won't kill your application, but the MCAT will be a great chance to balance out your GPA. If schools see your GPA is somewhat average for their applicant pool but your MCAT clearly demonstrates that you know your stuff and have the ability to learn the material, they will be forgiving.

Keep up the great work. You are well on your way. ROCK the MCAT and you will be fine.

fantastic EC's you have a better shot than most I would say if you do get a 33+ MCAT.

stats are just so-so. However, due to the lack of a love I've been getting alongside others with incredibly high stats, I really think the UC's weight more heavily EC's and research than the average med school.

yea those are just my stats as of this exact time. i am taking my mcat late may (22nd) and planning to apply within the first week possible to get it in early. i am hoping for a good score, since i have been studying for it since last march. i will have more ECs when i apply also, as i am taking on a major role 2 new clubs on campus (the disabilities one once we get it going as a founder and another group called anteaters for autoimmunity, which i have been helping with a bit but it is so big they are trying to make it a nonprofit company so... i would be one of the major players in that as well). additionally, when i apply my cum GPA will be closer to a 3.7 (just a bit below) and my science should be almost a 3.6... so u really think i should be alright? i stress out over this a lot, as i am sure most people do haha. its a big deal...

i have only taken 2 practice tests and my last one i got a 10V 10B and 8PS. i skipped the writing since i am not too concerned with that section... is that a good place to be with two and a half months left to study?

That's a good place to be. Study more. Do more practice tests and look up things you don't know during the practice tests.

i have only taken 2 practice tests and my last one i got a 10V 10B and 8PS. i skipped the writing since i am not too concerned with that section... is that a good place to be with two and a half months left to study?

about right....should be able to get another 4-5 points.

Decent chance depending on your MCAT score. Aim for a 32+ score.

Wow yeah you'll be golden by the time your actual MCAT rolls around... I was at a 23 on my first diagnostic about a month and a half before my test and surprisingly reached a 35. I think your application is very similar to mine in a lot of ways. I'm also applying this year. You're lucky to live in CA with all the great UCs lol :( I have very little chance at a UC since I'm out of state. Best of luck to you studying for your MCAT! My philosophy when I was studying was just focus on the BS and PS cuz verbal is nearly impossible to improve in a short time.

Wow yeah you'll be golden by the time your actual MCAT rolls around... I was at a 23 on my first diagnostic about a month and a half before my test and surprisingly reached a 35. I think your application is very similar to mine in a lot of ways. I'm also applying this year. You're lucky to live in CA with all the great UCs lol :( I have very little chance at a UC since I'm out of state. Best of luck to you studying for your MCAT! My philosophy when I was studying was just focus on the BS and PS cuz verbal is nearly impossible to improve in a short time.

Incorrect!

UC's are the hardest state schools to get into. If you can get into a UC, likely you could've also gotten into Case Western, Harvard, John Hopkins, etc. In that case, having an easier safety state school is a much better position than having a UC for your state school.