• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

How do people do research during second year?

AORiverContra

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
  1. Medical Student
    Here's my situation: I have no research right now. Should I start research during second year?

I was supposed to be starting a project during MS1 summer, but it looks like it's not going to work out. Now starting MS2, and I want to put 100% effort into classes/step 1 studying, and not do research. But I know I have to do research at some point. Would it be wise to try to find a project to join that has a low workload?
    Questions:
    -How many hours a week would be manageable to do research during second year?
    -How many hours a week would you do research during dedicated Step 1 period, if at all? If you're working on someone else's project, and Step 1 period comes around, is it acceptable to tell your PI that you can't do anything during the Step 1 study period? This is the kind of conflict I'd be worried about.

Reactions: 1 user

LyMed

2+ Year Member
    May 4, 2017
    1. Medical Student
      -How many hours a week would be manageable to do research during second year?
      -How many hours a week would you do research during dedicated Step 1 period, if at all? If you're working on someone else's project, and Step 1 period comes around, is it acceptable to tell your PI that you can't do anything during the Step 1 study period? This is the kind of conflict I'd be worried about.

How many hours is completely up to you and how much you study a day. It's not uncommon to stop doing research during STEP1 and most PI are understanding of that.

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
      Jan 21, 2012
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Don't do research during step 1 study period.

How much you can get away with during the M2 year depends on your capabilities and goals, but some amount is achievable for most people. Keep in mind that after M2 you're going to even less time as a third year.

Reactions: 1 users
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.