How do people feel about OMM at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most students, including myself, think it's ridiculous and dread the 4 hours of lecture/lab every week. A few of the techniques have some merit but Chapman's and cranial has no place in a modern day medical school curriculum. Funny how even the professors don't have evidence of their efficacy and rely on anecdotes during lectures e.g. "My sister had an MI and you could feel the Chapman's point right there in the 2nd intercostal space!" Like, okay that's nice, but can you cite some studies? And no, confirmation biased articles in the JAOA do not count.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It is not.

The many injuries/illnesses/diseases/etc that cause low back pain are medical conditions and they all have standard medical approaches. Not sure how omm can help with a ruptured anterior longitudinal ligament, or a ruptured annulus, or ankylosing spondylitis. Treat the patient or treat the symptom?
Do you know what treat back-pain? A good 50$ massage or spa or a good night sleep. But of course nothing can be superior to OMM, am I right?

Members don't see this ad :)
What lucky school do you attend where you have 45 min once a week and can cram the night before a practical? At my school you miss more than one thing and you fail/remediate. Lol

DCOM switched from 90 minute labs to 45 minute labs. I liked the professor way better last year, and actually haven't really learned anything new this year, but I really appreciate the time it's freed up.

See, that's the thing. How long (time & practice/experience) would it actually take to become safely proficient? In general, school programs don't actually give students time to become proficient in any clinical skills---perhaps basically so in doing a "comprehensive" physical examination. Truth is, it takes time outside of the school to move through the stages of novice, proficient, to expert.

I agree with you. I think if someone wanted to get very skilled at OMT, they would need to utilize it for years before getting those skills. I'm not wiling to use it at all unless there's an exam in the next 3 days or so.

DCOM switched from 90 minute labs to 45 minute labs. I liked the professor way better last year, and actually haven't really learned anything new this year, but I really appreciate the time it's freed up.

I'm a second year, is it too late to transfer to DCOM?

Our written exam at DMU covered the entire semester but was super easy. It took me 2 days to study for. My practical is today and I practiced last night and some today. Basically, other than lab and lecture it doesn't occupy my time

Reactions: 1 user