How do pre-meds maintain a relationship with their bf/gf when moving to med school+residency?

OP
streampaw

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Pro tip: Go away to college. Make some friends. Drink. Play some video games. Get a couple B's. Stay up way too late. People will be much more likely to talk to you once you matriculate. If this doesn't work with your relationship, consider that you are 17 years old and dating a professional student..
I also am a 17 year old sophomore/junior in college. Credit wise I am a junior, but I am taking 3 more years to complete my degree instead of 2 years, to take it more slowly and get some EC's. I started college at 15

OP
streampaw

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, another question, would it be possible to travel out of state using airline ticket, like every couple weeks while going to medical school? For example, if I spent money on an airline ticket to go out of state for just a weekend, and I did this every other weekend while in medical school, would that be possible? Or do you think there will be problems, such as delayed flights resulting that I won't be able to show up to class the following day after sunday, etc.

OP
streampaw

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
(I am taking 2 years off after college to work full time so that I can save up money for airline travelling to my home state at least twice a month)

Deadlifts

Warming up with your max
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2011
Also, another question, would it be possible to travel out of state using airline ticket, like every couple weeks while going to medical school? For example, if I spent money on an airline ticket to go out of state for just a weekend, and I did this every other weekend while in medical school, would that be possible? Or do you think there will be problems, such as delayed flights resulting that I won't be able to show up to class the following day after sunday, etc.
That sounds really expensive and exhausting.

SunsFun

VICE president
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2011
Pannotia
Only if you have a twin to do all of the studying for you.

SunsFun

VICE president
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2011
Pannotia
(I am taking 2 years off after college to work full time so that I can save up money for airline travelling to my home state at least twice a month)
2 years might not be enough. You should work full-time for at least 3-4 years to cover all 4 years of airfare. Gotta take into account price increases and unexpected circumstances.

Jun 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
2 years might not be enough. You should work full-time for at least 3-4 years to cover all 4 years of airfare. Gotta take into account price increases and unexpected circumstances.
Heyyoo what about the cost of living/attendance? What kind of job are you gonna get at graduation? Do you think you can step into a 50K, 60K, 80K job with a bio degree and plans for grad school? Most companies want people who will stay for the long haul and who have work experience. Most lab jobs I interviewed for maxed out at 35K. How much do you think you could save on that?

if your SO is cool with you making this kind of sacrifice I honestly would worry a little bit but that's just my opinion. As I said before. Talk to your friends about this. I almost said go have a pint or two but that is illegal.

Also- you keep saying you are 17 but almost 18 and technically a junior in college. You started college way young. You have the gift of being younger than everyone else and you can use this to your advantage to put yourself in the ideal position for being a top notch candidate. It will be better for you to apply as an older candidate. So calm down. you've got something like four years to figure out your relationship. if it's not fun stop doing it.

acceptedMD18

I got in!
Oct 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
This is second greatest thread after poop hot dog. Speaking of which, OP, if you could eat a foot long poop hot dog to guarantee admission to OHSU and guarantee that your BF would be able to live with you in med school, would you do it?

Nena01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
This is second greatest thread after poop hot dog. Speaking of which, OP, if you could eat a foot long poop hot dog to guarantee admission to OHSU and guarantee that your BF would be able to live with you in med school, would you do it?
lol seems like she wouldnt. Instead of working hard to get into a state school, she is planning to work for YEARS to save money to travel every other weekend. She's planning to give up valuable study time these weekends so she can be with her boyfriend. Doing so, she's willing to sacrifice her success in medical school...

Something tells me she wouldn't take the logical route and eat that hot dog.

She isn't even close to applying to medical school though, but it's all neatly planned out.....this is quite the love story.

Mavs88

5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I don't get it. Please tell me what I am missing. I know you all are saying "enjoy life" right now, but I am going to take 2 years off after college anyway. I need to start with pre-med EC's right now, so that I can be the most competitive I can be for medical school. And I already decided to take an additional year at college to build up EC's. Plenty of people graduate high school early. I don't want to take 4 years off after I graduate college at 20, because I don't care about being the "average age" of a med school matriculant (24), I think 22 is just fine, as long as I can get 3.5+ years of EC's under my belt.
And based on your other thread...you're taking 2 years off to save money to fly twice a month during medical school?

What exactly is this SO giving up for you? Have you discussed this at all?

One day in the next few years, you may see this thread and laugh at yourself, trust me it's normal and healthy lol.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
It isn't TOOOOO surprising to see a 17 year old acting this way. Considering there are lots of 13 year olds who have constant stress and anxiety about their "love of their life", 17 year olds who are planning their 2nd/3rd kid, and high school is a infestation of relationship/love drama.

The big question is, how old is this law student? For all we know, he can be a young blood too , which would make the pairing less creepy :p

Reactions: rain4venus

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
It isn't TOOOOO surprising to see a 17 year old acting this way. Considering there are lots of 13 year olds who have constant stress and anxiety about their "love of their life", 17 year olds who are planning their 2nd/3rd kid, and high school is a infestation of relationship/love drama.

The big question is, how old is this law student? For all we know, he can be a young blood too , which would make the pairing less creepy :p
they can't be young enough and be a law student for it to not be creepy, 17 is legal in many states but still creepy in all of them

OP
streampaw

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical

He is young, it's not creepy. Anyway, you guys, I am sooo happy because my bf might actually be able to move with me! I am sooo thrilled, I'm gonna go study really hard now and make sure I get all A's so that I can get into medical school! I am so happy, thank you for all your support! :)

OP
streampaw

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I am going to become a doctor! :D

rain4venus

5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Unfortunately, the state I'm from isn't on the list of uniform bar exam states. :( Oh well. I guess I have to suffer through the 8 year ldr.
(hint: read a little more carefully)

Also, you will absolutely not suffer through the 8 years of LDR. It will end after a lot less suffering than that.

rain4venus

5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2013
Status
Non-Student
love it! I wanted to ask this exact same question a couple days ago. I agree though, this is pretty much my favorite thread

rain4venus

5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2013
Status
Non-Student
they can't be young enough and be a law student for it to not be creepy, 17 is legal in many states but still creepy in all of them
FWIW - Oregon isn't one of them. Unless he's <=20

Sorry guys. I guess I should've multi-quoted but I just now figured out how that works

Nena01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
He is young, it's not creepy. Anyway, you guys, I am sooo happy because my bf might actually be able to move with me! I am sooo thrilled, I'm gonna go study really hard now and make sure I get all A's so that I can get into medical school! I am so happy, thank you for all your support! :)
Ohh... after posting on an internet thread and asking strangers, you consulted the love of your life? good call!

Glad to know he is also into planning his life yearssssss in advance and has determined that he is able to move with you to whatever med school you attend.

We should all be proud that OP is learning so much about relationships. and med school.

Reactions: Turkishking
OP
streampaw

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Ohh... after posting on an internet thread and asking strangers, you consulted the love of your life? good call!

Glad to know he is also into planning his life yearssssss in advance and has determined that he is able to move with you to whatever med school you attend.

We should all be proud that OP is learning so much about relationships. and med school.
:)

May 11, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Oh I'm sorry, you're not 17 at all because you are technically a junior on credits. I have a nasty habit of forgetting that maturity is intrinsically linked to how much money one has spent on college credit hours.

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
Oh I'm sorry, you're not 17 at all because you are technically a junior on credits. I have a nasty habit of forgetting that maturity is intrinsically linked to how much money one has spent on college credit hours.
I thought people stopped saying they were "x age and a half" when they were about 6. If it's your first year in college, you're a freshman. Nobody cares about the rest except you, your mom, and the people who sign your degree.