How do Psych Residency programs get notified of Step 2 Scores, do they care?

centroles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
?

PLEASE HELP.

I am an Carribean medical student and have a rather low Step 1 score. But I have two months off now and know that I can do STELLAR on the Step 2 if I take it end of Sept.

I plan to take Step 2 at end of Sept, fill out my ERAS application, and submit my ERAS Application in late October once my Step 2 score is available. I don't want residency programs to discard my application before getting a chance to see my high step 2 score.

So I'm wondering, will any of the lesser competitive psych residency programs simply stop looking at ERAS applications recieved in November and after.

I'm applying to Psych, IM and FM btw.

Please help. I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
OP
C

centroles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
Please help. If you need more detail about my situation...

I won't be able to take my Step 2 until mid september at the earliest. But I will be doing extremely extremely well on my Step 2.

If I submit my ERAS on Sept 1st and transmit my step 2 score to all the programs I'm interested in in mid october, how will residency directors get notified of my score?

Will they have to reopen my file/application to see my score, or will they get my score directly, and be convinced based on my score to take a second look at the rest of my application.

I just don't want any residency programs to discard my file based on my below average application without ever seeing my step 2 score.

Indryd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2005
Gilead
Status
Medical Student
Sorry to barge in without an answer to a single one of your questions, but why not apply nice and early and then give each program a call the moment your scores come out? Maybe even fax/email a copy and call 10 minutes later. Even if you get "pre-screened" out of contention, I doubt they are actually going to throw your application in a garbage can. Your app will be around in November, even if it was passed up the first time around.

You wouldn't have to admit to being concerned about your application or whatever, just call up and say something like "I just wanted to let you guys know that I received my step 2 scores and did exceptionally well, and I would like to make sure you get the chance to take this into consideration when evaluating my application. I faxed/emailed a copy a few minutes ago. I would very much appreciate if you [assuming you've reached a secretary/assistant/not the PD] could place it in my file and make sure Dr. [PD] gets a chance to see it."

Then call back in a week and ask if this has been done and/or give a gentle reminder.

Disclaimer is that I have not taken the boards yet nor have I applied for residency. I could seriously be completely full of crap and not even know it. :xf:

OP
C

centroles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
No, thank you very much for trying to answer, I really appreciate your input...

I just have one last question. If you don't mind answering, do you know what the typical application deadline for residency programs is. I am just wondering if residency programs might have an application deadline of Nov 1st or earlier.

This answer from a PD seems to contradict your notion that PDs will regularly look back at applications that they already disliked though..

The answer is: "It depends".

When you apply via ERAS to my program, all of your available information (that you have released / assigned to my program) is sent to me for review. On my end, I can ask ERAS to "filter" applications in any way I want. One such filter let's me know if your application is "complete" -- i.e. ready for me to review. Vitally important --> Each PD can write these filters anyway they might want. So, I might consider complete = ERAS application + USMLE report + 2 LOR's + PS. Or, I might say it's ERAS + Both USMLE steps + 3 LOR's + PS. Or, any combination of anything I want.

If your application meets these criteria, then your application is presented to me to review. if not, then it's held awaiting further application materials.

If a PD uses "USMLE transcript received" as part of it's filter, then they might review your application with only Step 1 (assuming the other criteria are met) and make a decision based upon that. I doubt they would notice that your Step 2 was pending, and even so they might simply assume that your Step 2 performance was going to match your Step 1.

Once your application is reviewed, and rejected, it is "inactivated" so that it no longer appears for review. New information is still downloaded into your application, but it will not be re-reviewed unless the PD specifically pulls it. As mentioned in your other thread, this may or may not happen if you contact the PA/PD and ask nicely if your Step 2 >> Step 1.

Whether they will or not is anyone's guess, you'll be lucky if >50% of them even bother looking at your application again.
It sounds like from that answer, once my app is rejected based on my poor step 1 score, the odds of it being pulled back out seems unlikely.

And based on that, as I don't anticipate getting accepted in a prematch anyways, I think it would be best for me to take my Step 2 at the end of Sept, do really well on it, and submit my ERAS application along with my Step 2 score to all the programs at the end of October.

If your step 1 score is pretty good, there doesn't seem to be any point in waiting, but as mine is not but I am expecting to do really well on the step 2, I think it would be worth it for me to wait.

Last edited:

billypilgrim37

Unstuck in Time
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I would expect that any program that wouldn't filter you out based on the fact that you are a Carribean medical student probably won't filter you out for a low-but-passing Step 1 score.

maybepsych

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm only an MSIII but I agree with everything that has been said here. I would submit everything as early as possible with only the Step 1 score and then try to "seal the deal" on the interview trail with your great Step 2 score.

I have talked to a lot of people (I'm also a Carib student) and it seems that one of the best things we can do to increase our chances of getting more/better interviews is to have everything in early.

heyjack70

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status
I also suggest getting your application in early without Step 2 scores. My friend waited until later November last year for his Step 2 scores before applying to Internal Medicine programs and he did not get a single interview. Programs had filled their interview slots. He ended up scrambling. Many programs offer interviews without complete applications. I was offered an interview with only 1 letter or rec, personal statement, and Step 1 and 2 scores. No MSPE and minus 2 letters.

Get your application in early to a lot of places (competitive and not if you're worried about your step 1 score being low).