How do Q-bank scores correlate w/Step II score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMHMN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post your Q-bank %'s and what that correlated into for your Step II score.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

got a 70@ at the end of Qbank and ended up with a 219 on Step 2. What about Qbank? Or NMS?

73% at the end of QBank (first time through) and 249 on Step II.
I recommend going through the QBank questions at least twice and paying
lots of attention to the entire explanation.

-M

about 75% on q-bank. 258 on step ii.

i did q-bank, did the brochart question book, and read crush the boards.

basically, do alot of questions.

-mrp

Members don't see this ad :)
so far:
75 -> 258
73 -> 249
70 -> 219

Keep the scores coming...

Originally posted by AMHMN
so far:
75 -> 258
73 -> 249
70 -> 219

Keep the scores coming...

QBank low 70s - read wrong answer explanations only
First Aid (only review book)
< 1 week of studying x about 2 hrs per day

= 245 (same score as Step 1)

mike

S.P.
He ended up with a 71 Qbank and a 223 Step 2.
He also said e was getting significantly lower scores on the NMS book and averaging about a 65% on the Qbook.

Keep em comin!
Thanks
-Jordan

Originally posted by jackjinju
around 70 -> 205 on Step 2... guess I'm the dummy here haha.:p

No, I think we're just showing that the correlation isn't that good. Spend less time reading this forum and more time studying is the best advice.

mike

Mike, I don't know if that last post was supposed to be funny, but I thought it was. Took me by suprise. Very funny.

Originally posted by Bull's eye
Mike, I don't know if that last post was supposed to be funny, but I thought it was. Took me by suprise. Very funny.

I know a lot of these things are nerve racking, but there are a lot of posts that worry over uncontrollable things. Eg, huge forums dedicated to the size of medical school communications (thick or thin, should I THROW IT AWAY) and these correlations. If you're getting 70%, you should see some people go on to get 260s and some barely pass. Not good enough info for me to throw away my studying and brace for failure, or be cocky I'll get a great score.

The best prediction of step 2 score is PROBABLY looking at your step 1 score and knowing that if you put in a similar effort, most people go up. I put in a PITIFUL effort and got the same score (prob. a little lower relatively) on step 2. Also, your MCAT trends, etc, may give you some of an idea.

mike

I was getting about 90% on Qbank and ended up with a 272 on StepII. Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so far the mean on Step II based on the 8 scores posted on this thread is 242.....and I thought it was 216??? Talk about sampling error.

You must not have done so hot on STEP 2?
Wanna talk about it?

No I'm fine...as I said, I got a 205...which is a score I am quite satisfied with. I just think it's funny that you get such a sampling error.:)

OK, so far the mean on Step II based on the 8 scores posted on this thread is 242.....and I thought it was 216??? Talk about sampling error

LOL- I agree; if you read this board you'd think you are a complete dud if you didn't get a 280 on both Steps 1 & 2 and have interview offers from all of the top residency programs in your specialty of choice around the country.

I'm sure there are tons of people who read this with board scores well below a 240 and who are happily interviewing at Joe Schmo programs; they're just not talking about it.

LOL- Yeah, exactly...actually, if you take my score out of the equation, the mean on Step II jumps to 247.6! Anyway, nuff said, I guess.

I agree that with a small sample size you have less power in the study. And so far we have about 6 or 7 posts. :) Kinda increases our P-value!!!!
If you guys hear anymore QBank final averages and STEP 2 scores, please post em here! THEres power in the numbers!
Thanks
-Jordan

Are the % scores in Qbank based on tests created across all subjects or individual subjects ? I got ~72 % in tests created for individual subjects and failed in Step 2. :confused:

Originally posted by Alias
I was getting about 90% on Qbank and ended up with a 272 on StepII. Hope this helps

:wow: I didn't know scores went that high!

On q bank, I was scoring 55-60% on individual exams. I passed with a 200. It took 4 weeks exactly to get my score.

Hope this helps.

here are a few q bank and actual step 2 scores..of some batchmates..
q bank-step scores
76-244
74-244
78-250
72-238
basically all had scores in q bank in the 70 to 75 range and scores around 240 odd..
hope this helps..

here are a few q bank and actual step 2 scores..of some batchmates..
q bank-step scores
76-244
74-244
78-250
72-238
basically all had scores in q bank in the 70 to 75 range and scores around 240 odd..
hope this helps..

WHATS A BATCHMATE?
Thanks
-Jordan

"WHATS A BATCHMATE?
Thanks
-Jordan"

same like classmate..u know the people who are in the same class with u..
ps-are u the same 'jordan' of usmle.net forum!!!::p

not the one who got his result....
i will be appearing soon..
ps-the whole forum is in a big mess...the oasis update and u smack down in the middle of it..
some time ago it was the kaplan stuff now this..:D

i saw ure post regarding swanson!
well i started the book..and liked it a lot..
but...its a pretty fat book..can u tell which parts are really great in it..i just read geriatrics..what else can one read from it ..say in a short time..cant devote much time..
peace!

Triple X,
I agree that the USMLE.NET forum is such a wreck. I suggest that we make a separate forum for student that have failed. Not that anyone is better or worse or anything but, students with failing attutudes can be contagious! Postivity is also contagious.

How much time do you have before the exam and how much time can you devote towards swansons?
I would read the sections that contain the MAJOR medical issues in AMERICA, not the world. ie. CHF, MI, AIDS, Lung, prostate, breast and colon CA. And whatever else in your opionion is widespread in the US.
Also, if you have more time, next I would do your weak subjects.

Take Care
-Jordan

hi,
thanx ..for the feedback..
have a 9 to 5 job..
giving step 2 in 2 months time.
have been preparing for 1 month..finished kaplan notes once..goin thru ctb now...after that i plan to do mcq's and relevant theory..thats it..already i feel burnt out...thats why i was asking..which stuff from swanson is a must..u know what.. one friend of mine got three questions on complementary med and all of them were answerable from swanson..so there u go!i mean who the hell reads complementary medicine anyway...
on a last note u are gonna do great...dont get worked up...its not gonna change ure results!!!:clap: relax..check out the lounge in this forum..i tell ya it would be a welcome change from usmle.net:laugh:

Youre the man, its 1:30 AM in New York...and I just got my OASIS update...I passed man!
Thanks for the positivity!
I really appreciate it!
-Jordan