How do RVUs translate and contract advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FMDoc86

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
FM resident here exploring contracts and trying to understand just how RVUs transfer into amount of daily work.

Summary of contract:

30k signing bonus

Year 1
175k base +25k loans + 35 days PTO and 5 fed holidays +5k cme + 10k eligible scorecard bonus. Bonus @4250 rvus

Year 2/3
150k base + all above benefits with 30k eligible scorecard . Bonus @ 3250 RVUs

My contract currently has bonuses kick in at 3250 RVUs in my second year. I would have to hit 3875 RVUs to hit the same as my base pay from year 1.

- is this # possible to hit starting a new practice and seeing acutes for my partners?
- is 40$ per RVU and 50$ after 5700 RVUs a good pay structure given my base?

This is a place I plan on being at for a while and i think it is structured for good reimbursement once established but unsure how fast to expect these numbers.

Would appreciate any feedback or questions that arent usually asled before final contract is signed.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not count on being able to hit your target RVUs by the end of your first year. I recently left a job where after 2 and a half years, I was hitting 1/4 of the target RVU.

I started a new job where the pay is guaranteed for 2.5 years. I'm in a much busier area now, and I have more partners in this office as compared to the last, so there is the potential for overflow.

As far as the RVU rate, $40 per RVU is on the lower side, but not terrible and considering it jumps to $50, that's not bad. But do consider the amount you need to generate to reach $50 per RVU. That is quite a bit, and I would expect that it would take you a long time before you reach that level.

The bonuses seem pretty generous. How many years of service do you have to give them for the 30K sign on bonus?

Again, do not expect that you will be a top earner anytime soon.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
It took me about 3 years before I was consistently seeing 20+ in a day and hitting my targets. Places will advertise that you'll get your partners' overflow, but that would be their potential revenue going to you. If it's a known patient that will be a 5 minute acute visit, they'd be either foolish or lazy to give you that business. If it's a known difficult patient... sure, let the new guy see em. Don't forget, they probably have their own targets to hit, too. Those quick acute visits are what RVU bonuses are made of. During the offseason when everyone is slower, I wouldn't count on seeing too much overflow of easy stuff.

My guarantee went away after the second year and my base salary decreased substantially.

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me about 3 years before I was consistently seeing 20+ in a day and hitting my targets. Places will advertise that you'll get your partners' overflow, but that would be their potential revenue going to you. If it's a known patient that will be a 5 minute acute visit, they'd be either foolish or lazy to give you that business. If it's a known difficult patient... sure, let the new guy see em. Don't forget, they probably have their own targets to hit, too. Those quick acute visits are what RVU bonuses are made of. During the offseason when everyone is slower, I wouldn't count on seeing too much overflow of easy stuff.

My guarantee went away after the second year and my base salary decreased substantially.
How substantial is substantial?

How substantial is substantial?

beach.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
FM resident here exploring contracts and trying to understand just how RVUs transfer into amount of daily work.

Summary of contract:

30k signing bonus

Year 1
175k base +25k loans + 35 days PTO and 5 fed holidays +5k cme + 10k eligible scorecard bonus. Bonus @4250 rvus

Year 2/3
150k base + all above benefits with 30k eligible scorecard . Bonus @ 3250 RVUs

My contract currently has bonuses kick in at 3250 RVUs in my second year. I would have to hit 3875 RVUs to hit the same as my base pay from year 1.

- is this # possible to hit starting a new practice and seeing acutes for my partners?
- is 40$ per RVU and 50$ after 5700 RVUs a good pay structure given my base?

This is a place I plan on being at for a while and i think it is structured for good reimbursement once established but unsure how fast to expect these numbers.

Would appreciate any feedback or questions that arent usually asled before final contract is signed.
Best thing I ever did was ask the other providers about their targets and bonuses and what kind of timeframe it took to meet the goals.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile