How do the Baltimore programs compare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamezuva

Have Faith
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how the various Baltimore programs compared and contrasted. These would include JHU, JHU/Bayview, JHU/Sinai, and U Maryland. Particulary interested in quality of teaching, malignancy, and competitiveness to get in. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Jamezuva said:
Was wondering how the various Baltimore programs compared and contrasted. These would include JHU, JHU/Bayview, JHU/Sinai, and U Maryland. Particulary interested in quality of teaching, malignancy, and competitiveness to get in. Thanks

JHU is obviously cream of the crop, like the top 1 in teh league of MGH, BWH and co and hard to get into, need more than good stats, need something "unique" that sets u apart be it research, some kind of recognition or something special. Their intern yr is VERY rigorous, but u come out of intern yr knowing everything you need to know!
Someone blew the whistle last yr, so they got in trouble for the 80hr thingie, but they are back on the ball. Its supposedly pretty rough, but my girl there is making it so far her intern yr, infact she just had 2 whole weeks without ANY call, and NO WEEKENDS!!!

Bayview prog faculty are Hopkins faculty so they have a closer relationship to the main hospital than Sinai. Their residents usually have no problems getting into competitive fellowships.
The Hopkins geriatrics, and asthma&allergy progs are mainly based here, o thats more their focus, and types of patients you'll see. I was just there a week ago, their facilities are awesome! Its not as competitive as JHU

I dont know about Sinai
U of Maryland is pretty good, most say its overshadowed just because its only a few mins from Hopkins. They've wonderful facilities from what I've seen. Talked to a resident there who loved it, but I dont know much about this.

I'd love to know more about the B'more progs as well, so hopefully more people can offer more advice!