How Do These Schools Feel About Prereqs At CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starphoenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the boards.

I am 39 and plan to return to school next year for my prereqs. I have a B.A. in psychology.

I want to take my prereqs at a CC for a few reasons: The local university has HORRIBLE premed advisement, and the school is structured more for environmental biology studies. I was warned against going there! Another out-of-state university is quite far and expensive. (I live in the boonies, far from EVERYTHING.) I'm in financial duress, and I don't want a large burden of school debt before entering med school besides.

I'm considering a couple of CC's. I believe they have good reps.

What do you know about the following schools' stand on CC prereqs:

DCOM
PCSOM
VCOM
UMDNJ-SOM

I'm most inclined toward the first three as I want to practice rural medicine.

I don't know if it would have been better to ask this in the medical student forum.

Thanks for any input you might provide! :)

Steph

Members don't see this ad.

My recommendation is to contact each of the schools individually just to be sure.

I am having to take an online Physics II course through a CC this semester, and most of the schools I asked approved it including DCOM and KCUMB.

Thanks! I may have to do that.

I'm looking at taking all prereqs at a CC. I don't know how they'd feel about that.

I'm looking at two CCs. One has a more rigorous program. It's affiliated with SUNY (State University Of NY). They want people with strong math and science backgrounds, though, and I have a nonscience background. I haven't even taken algebra! (I have catching up to do.) The other school isn't bad, I think.

I kept thinking the schools would mind the inquiry. Maybe not!

Members don't see this ad :)
i received acceptances at each of the osteopathic schools i applied to. the ochem and physics i took at a CC were never brought up. i'm not sure they really care.

does anyone know about retaking courses at a CC?:confused: it seems to me they would look down on retaking (gen chem, biol, orgo) at a CC because they are viewed as easier institution. I also wouldnt want to pay alot of money to retake gen chem but you have to do what you have to....

I think the best bet would be to contact each school individually. Not really sure if anyone can give you a concrete answer to this one.

I can only speak for DCOM, but I have taken a few of my prereqs at a CC and there were no problems - in fact, it was never brought up and I have been accepted. I have done both retakes and first-time classes at the CC and no problems. As for my other interviews at CCOM and WVSOM, there were no issues either. CCOM never brought them up and WVSOM wanted to make sure it wasn't some Joe Schmo teaching the class. Just make sure the CC is accredited and there should be no problems. I was an engineering major, hence the reason for taking the classes I did at the CC - mostly night and summer classes.

If possible, look at WVSOM too. It is a beautiful campus and the students really like being there. Obviously, DCOM is a great choice too :D

I took the following at a CC: chem 2, orgo 1, bio 1 & 2, micro, A&P 1 & 2 and I retook orgo 2 - I have never regretted my decision to go to a CC for these classes and I know for a fact that I learned more there than I would have at my university. the teaching was so much better there.

Congratulations, Nascardoc!!!! :hardy:

I would consider WV, too, but OOS tuition is killer. :eek:

I think I'll call the schools tomorrow to check for sure.

I would say that a nontraditional student like yourself would probably have no problem w/ the prereqs at a CC.

The only time this might come up is in an interview. If/when it does, you just be honest & tell them your reasons. I don't think there are many people that would fault a nontrad such as yourself for saving some money at a CC. I also really liked your reasoning about the premed advising, btw.

Krazykritter: Love the name! :)

Thanks for your nice comments! The advisement at that university is truly poor. The guy is an idiot. He gives erroneous information; one piece of information was shot down by the math chair himself! He's mean, also. Very rude. I didn't like the "dig" he made about DO school, besides. :smuggrin:

Premed advisors as a rule are not helpful, esp. w/ DO admissions. In my experience, CC classes are usually not a problem, provided you score well on the MCAT. MCAT is the great equalizer.

Although schools will prob. accept CC classes, I'd try to build as solid a science background as you can during your prereqs, esp biology and esp. if you've been out of school for a while. A strong bio foundation will help you in med school.

Mmm....I hear you on the MCAT.

I'll build a good foundation. Thanks for the tips!

The CC I'm looking at is very rigorous. I think some of their classes are harder than the local university's! :eek:

That advisor was terrible. He kept giving me incorrect information. I might have been able to work around the other issues, but I need correct information. Sheesh. I don't know how he got the position. Even if I were willing to just do it all myself, really, I would have needed his approval for things, and I wouldn't have gotten it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I got word from one of the schools. VCOM "strongly prefers" classes from a four-year college/university. Well, they may be off my list now. :(

Hello. I'm new to the boards.

I am 39 and plan to return to school next year for my prereqs. I have a B.A. in psychology.

I want to take my prereqs at a CC for a few reasons: The local university has HORRIBLE premed advisement, and the school is structured more for environmental biology studies. I was warned against going there! Another out-of-state university is quite far and expensive. (I live in the boonies, far from EVERYTHING.) I'm in financial duress, and I don't want a large burden of school debt before entering med school besides.

I'm considering a couple of CC's. I believe they have good reps.

What do you know about the following schools' stand on CC prereqs:

DCOM
PCSOM
VCOM
UMDNJ-SOM

I'm most inclined toward the first three as I want to practice rural medicine.

I don't know if it would have been better to ask this in the medical student forum.

Thanks for any input you might provide! :)

Steph
I'm going to go against the grain a little bit here and say go the university route. They tend to be more respected and I know (speaking from someone in the midwest) that some of my friends who did the CC thing received absolutely horrible educations. Their labs and classes were a joke. Yeah, they got an A in O-chem but they had no idea how an Sn2 reaction really worked. Also, do you really need a good premed advisor if you're only going back to do pre reqs? If you were trying to complete a History/Biology double major and go to med school then some advising might do some good. However it does not take an advisor to tell you "take gen chem, intro bio, physics, orgo, and strongly consider doing some biochem, genetics, anatomy, and calc". Pre med advising complete.

does anyone know about retaking courses at a CC?:confused: it seems to me they would look down on retaking (gen chem, biol, orgo) at a CC because they are viewed as easier institution. I also wouldnt want to pay alot of money to retake gen chem but you have to do what you have to....

I think that it will all come out when you take the MCAT. True some CC's may have easier prereq classes and some will have as hard prereqs as 4-years. To me, the advantages of going the CC route is that 1) your classes are smaller, 2) you'll have better access to your professors if you are having difficulties understanding a concept and 3) because many classes require that you take the lab at the same time as the class (some 4 years may have hundreds of OChem students but only room for 25% for the lab portion).

As I said in that very first sentence of mine...the MCAT will be the telling feature...if you do well on the PS and BS sections, yes, taking prereqs at a CC won't be a totally bad decision.

I'm in a quandary.

VCOM says they "strongly prefer" the four-year institution. I have yet to hear from the others.

I would just as soon get the four-year, but the only one I can attend is structured for environmental biology, not molecular. The advisor said that if I really want to go premed, I should go somewhere else!

He gave such bad advice, too. I know what I would need to take, but when he insists on such and such, and I know it to be false, he's the one to sign off. He's the one to approve what I do. I couldn't register without his signature.

I don't know what I'll do.

I'm in a quandary.

VCOM says they "strongly prefer" the four-year institution. I have yet to hear from the others.

I would just as soon get the four-year, but the only one I can attend is structured for environmental biology, not molecular. The advisor said that if I really want to go premed, I should go somewhere else!

He gave such bad advice, too. I know what I would need to take, but when he insists on such and such, and I know it to be false, he's the one to sign off. He's the one to approve what I do. I couldn't register without his signature.

I don't know what I'll do.

If your only realistic choice is the CC, go that route. Make sure the prof. has at least a masters in their field. also try to get profs whose only job is teaching at the school. I once took a class at a CC and the prof had a day job. he was a terrible teacher - terrible. as for the only profs i had, they were awesome teachers - much better than most of the university profs I've had. i consider the prof i had for my A & P THE BEST teacher I have ever had thus far. he was just incredible and I have never learned so much. the CC profs are a lot more accessible and willing to help, especially b/c you don't have to work around 400 other students, TA's you can't understand, and the research schedule of the prof. don't be afraid to go.

Thanks, Nascardoc! And again, woo hoo on getting into DCOM! :D

I don't know. I doubt any school will accept all prereqs from a CC. VCOM said no. I'm waiting to hear back from DCOM. The woman said she'd have to check with Dr. Leo. I haven't heard anything yet from PSCOM (but not too inclined to go there), or UMDNJ-SOM, but I'm doubting it.

Thanks, Nascardoc! And again, woo hoo on getting into DCOM! :D

I don't know. I doubt any school will accept all prereqs from a CC. VCOM said no. I'm waiting to hear back from DCOM. The woman said she'd have to check with Dr. Leo. I haven't heard anything yet from PSCOM (but not too inclined to go there), or UMDNJ-SOM, but I'm doubting it.

I think most of the schools have no problem with CC classes. I asked CCOM via email about a year ago and they said they don't really care as long as institution is aproved and the class i am trying to take is the right one LOL.
You will find that most ppl acctually take 2 first years at CC and then transfer to 4 year college.
I think it all boils down to how good the CC is.
I am lucky to take classes at a really good CC which will be becomeing a 4 year university soon. All my teachers have Ph.D and classes are very challenging and well organized. I even think that my physics2 class is more chalenging the phys1 i took at my uni and the teacher is just simply fantastic.
If she can make physics interesting to me at 9pm after i just got eaten on my orgo test and slept 3 hr/night for this whole week then you can just imagine what kind of a teahcer she is:love:
If you know that your CC is a good one then go for it. Don't pay rediculous amounts, get frustrated with TA's who don't even speek English, attend classes at wierd-in-the-middle of the day hrs...go CC route unless schools will tell you otherwise.

Definitely call each school.

I took Chem 2 and phys 1&2 at a CC and was accepted to UMDNJSOM. I finished up at a 4 year college. UMDNJSOM has a formula for accepting students and they do factor which school you went to. I'm not sure if this goes for interviews also. This was the lowest factor in the formula if I remember correctly.

Do not heavily factor the premed advisor in your decision of which school to take your prereqs. You can get LORs from profs and use a service like interfolio.com to get around the premed advisor when applying to most DO schools.

ratemyprofessors.com is a nice website to see how students rank professors you may be dealing with at either school you do your prereqs.

You are an adult and a consumer when you are in college. As long as the 4 year college has the courses you need I would not worry if the school is geared to prelaw, mining, etc. since you have restrictions due to location. Be your own best advocate now because this situation may pop up again and again as you go through med school, residency, and medical career.

There is possibly a way for you to attend the 4 year and avoid the premed advisor by not declaring yourself postbacc, premed, etc. and just saying you want to take some classes. At my school the postbacc students signed up for another degree to avoid postbacc fees so maybe this is possible at your school.

Don't let one person get in the way of your medical career.

:lucK:

I deeply appreciate all of your advice! :love:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get around the situation at the four-year. I have to matriculate into a degree program for financial aid, even if I don't finish the degree. I would have to have him as an advisor and get my LOR from their premed committee.

I have been contacting individual schools via email in order to suss out their stand on this issue. The good news: My first choice would be LMU-DCOM, and Dr. Leo in Admissions said they would accept the prereqs from a CC! He did ask if I had an UG degree, though, but I do. :D

I'm waiting to hear from two other schools.

I'm in a similar situation. I just finished my undergrad a year ago. I'm a reapplicant and I want to go back to retake gen chem I (I got a C+ the first time). I'm a full time employee so night classes are good but they arent offered at the 4 year university. In addition, its very expensive to take the class at the 4 year university. Thus, I am leaning towards the community college here to take this one class again. But I really love VCOM and want to go there but if they dont accept it I might have to go to an undergrad 4 year institution. What do you guys think? I suppose I could just retake the MCAT and not deal with class at all. . . but who wants to do that?

As it happens, I'll be going to the four-year afterall. It will give me more leeway when applying, and I need to take some higher-level Bio classes anyway. They're not only recommended at DO schools: For financial aid, I have to take at least six credits a semester. Since I have to catch up with math, I won't be taking Gen Chem until Year Two. I need to take something else with it. I won't be able to take Orgo or Physics yet.

For VCOM, I don't think taking a class or two is problematic. Taking all prereqs at a CC would be.

I never heard from UMDNJ or PCSOM. Phooey.

Anyway, DCOM is my first choice. VCOM would be my second.

As it happens, I'll be going to the four-year afterall. It will give me more leeway when applying, and I need to take some higher-level Bio classes anyway. They're not only recommended at DO schools: For financial aid, I have to take at least six credits a semester. Since I have to catch up with math, I won't be taking Gen Chem until Year Two. I need to take something else with it. I won't be able to take Orgo or Physics yet.

For VCOM, I don't think taking a class or two is problematic. Taking all prereqs at a CC would be.

I never heard from UMDNJ or PCSOM. Phooey.

Anyway, DCOM is my first choice. VCOM would be my second.
Great call

I'm in a similar situation. I just finished my undergrad a year ago. I'm a reapplicant and I want to go back to retake gen chem I (I got a C+ the first time). I'm a full time employee so night classes are good but they arent offered at the 4 year university. In addition, its very expensive to take the class at the 4 year university. Thus, I am leaning towards the community college here to take this one class again. But I really love VCOM and want to go there but if they dont accept it I might have to go to an undergrad 4 year institution. What do you guys think? I suppose I could just retake the MCAT and not deal with class at all. . . but who wants to do that?

Well, I don't know your stats, so I can't help you pinpoint what might have kept you from an acceptance. I strongly believe in being a strategist in reapplying. It would be most high-yield for you to address what needs to be fixed, or improved upon, in your package. If it is your UGPA, address that; if it is your MCAT, retake it. One element in your package may not be able to make up for another. I would NOT recommend reapplication until you have adequately addressed the issue.

I would recommend attending a 4-year institution if you can, especially since you want to attend VCOM, and it is more likely to provide you with the greater set of options. I realize it's more expensive and more inconvenient to your schedule, but you need to think about what the priorities in your life are. If attending medical school is your priority, you'll have to do some rearranging in your life to make it so. This might mean reducing your work hours some and attending school. I suppose you could make it work with a CC; others certainly have, without a hitch. If it's your only option, then it can't be helped. Enact your most optimal choice. Good luck!