How do they get into good schools with bad MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

here2learn

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, they key to getting into a medical school involves four parameters:

1. Very good MCAT
2. Very good GPA
3. Have the extracurriculars, shadowing, references, etc.
4. Not be an ass during the interview.

I know of a certain school in the country where 100% of the pre-med class gets accepted into medical school. They have reasonably good GPAs, average extracurriculars, shadowing, references, etc. They do well in the interview because they are very pleasant and super-courteous White males.

Their MCATs average around 24. And yet 100% of their class gets in. Most people get either a 22, 23 or 25 MCAT score, which I am told is a VERY depressing score.

This is a small school in Utah and 100% of the accepted class has served a two-year Mormon mission. They get accepted to schools all over the country, some of the very best schools too.

How do people get into schools of their choice with a 22 or 24 MCAT score?

Am I missing something? Is there another parameter that I am not considering?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, they key to getting into a medical school involves four parameters:

1. Very good MCAT
2. Very good GPA

I know of a certain school in the country where 100% of the pre-med class gets accepted into medical school. They have reasonably good GPAs, average extracurriculars, shadowing, references, etc. They do well in the interview because they are very pleasant and super-courteous White males.

Their MCATs average around 24. And yet 100% of their class gets in. Most people get either a 22, 23 or 25 MCAT score, which I am told is a VERY depressing score.

This is a small school in Utah and 100% of the accepted class has served a two-year Mormon mission. They get accepted to schools all over the country, some of the very best schools too.

Thank you.

Uh...check your list 1-4 above.

100% is a very bold statistic, no matter what you're talking about. What school is this and where did you hear this statistic? Just remember, you can't believe everything you hear or read unless it can be verified as a reliable source.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because the MCAT doesnt mean anything! You can hem and haw all you want about its "predictive value," but I personally think its meaningless. There were people I know who I killed on the mcat...yet are doing better than me in med school...or vice versa. If you have good grades and can show you are a well rounded person via your other stats you can get into med school. Yeah a 24 is a bit low, but again, I know of several people in my class who got low to mid 20s on their MCATs who are pulling upper 80s low 90s in med school (and for your premeds 80s especially high 80s is a SOLID score to be getting on exams).

But aside from my rant on the MCAT. I am pretty sure a 2 year mormon mission would most likely explain that low MCAT score lol. Yikes!!

I know of a certain school in the country where 100% of the pre-med class gets accepted into medical school.

Gonna need a citation or link for such a superficially impossible statistic. I'm sure this magic schools has that stat as the banner on top of their homepage. They should if they don't.

1. Very good MCAT
2. Very good GPA

Thank you.

You have spoken of this small school in Utah in two separate threads now without stating the name of the school. Which one is it? Now I know you are not at UVU, Utah, or USU since none of them are small, and even though BYU is top notch for pre-med it has an acceptance rate still below 100%. Sorry but this number they gave is you is false. Especially for any school in Utah, sorry. Dixie, SUU, nor Weber produce 100% success for pre-med students.

Only if they are skewing numbers could you come up with that. Or perhaps a lot of the 24s go to Caribbean schools. It just is not likely they are making it to allopathic schools very often with numbers like that.

Last edited:
Because the MCAT doesnt mean anything! You can hem and haw all you want about its "predictive value," but I personally think its meaningless. There were people I know who I killed on the mcat...yet are doing better than me in med school...or vice versa. If you have good grades and can show you are a well rounded person via your other stats you can get into med school. Yeah a 24 is a bit low, but again, I know of several people in my class who got low to mid 20s on their MCATs who are pulling upper 80s low 90s in med school (and for your premeds 80s especially high 80s is a SOLID score to be getting on exams).
But how will this play out when you take Step 1? That's what the MCAT is supposed to be a predictor of, your test taking ability, not academic performance (that's what grades are for.)

/hemming and hawing lol

You have spoken of this small school in Utah in two separate threads now without stating the name of the school. Which one is it? Now I know you are not at UVU, Utah, or USU since none of them are small, and even though BYU is top notch for pre-med it has an acceptance rate still below 100%. Sorry but this number they gave is you is false. Especially for any school in Utah, sorry. Dixie, SUU, nor Weber produce 100% success for pre-med students.

Only if they are skewing numbers could you come up with that. Or perhaps a lot of the 24s go to Caribbean schools. It just is not likely they are making it to allopathic schools very often with numbers like that.

Westminster?

Westminster?

I mean that's possible, but in another thread he/she was complaining that he/she had no friends because everyone is Mormon around him and if the school is Westminster in Salt Lake then that simply isn't the case. I was trying to think of schools in small towns... couldn't come up with much more.

For a about 6 or 7 years, including all my years there (minus my senior year) we had a "100% acceptance rate into medical school." They could claim this even though some of our pre-med majors weren't going to med school the next year for a few reasons:

1) Those with a low MCAT were discouraged from applying until retake.
2) MD + DO schools count as ac acceptance, obviously
3) We had like 8 or less apply every year

So it is not impossible. Was our school incredible? I mean, they did a great job of preparing us for the MCAT (and also for medical school, as I'm learning this year). But we definitely are not a top school by any stretch of the imagination (small, midwest christian liberal arts)

Are they all "super-courteous white males?" I'll buy what you're saying, but I have to think there is some serious data-engineering going on to get that kind of acceptance rate. Glad you're having success and best of luck.

A personal friend of mine scored a 23 and 24 on her MCAT, and she is now an extremely successful resident at Mayo Clinic. They [MCAT scores] aren't exactly indicative of your success as a physician, and schools know this. You will never have the door shut on your simply because of an MCAT score unless it's past the threshold of mediocrity or your stats are extremely unbalanced (I.E a 4 in VR would look quite poor).

You are buying some first class BS.

It is certainly true that you can make up for a sub-par MCAT in other places. But 22-24 is very very low for any MD school in the country and frankly is low for many DO schools. Sure some 22-24 matriculate every year but they are without doubt the exception and not the rule.

I seriously, seriously doubt that there is a school with a 100% acceptance rate, let alone one which pumps out people getting 22-24 on the MCAT. It just isn't happening.

If you are sneakily asking how to make up for a sub-par MCAT the answer is plastered all over this board.

It is certainly true that you can make up for a sub-par MCAT in other places. But 22-24 is very very low for any MD school in the country and frankly is low for many DO schools. Sure some 22-24 matriculate every year but they are without doubt the exception and not the rule.

I seriously, seriously doubt that there is a school with a 100% acceptance rate, let alone one which pumps out people getting 22-24 on the MCAT. It just isn't happening.

If you are sneakily asking how to make up for a sub-par MCAT the answer is plastered all over this board.

And with that, I think this thread has about run its course. Great post.

Members don't see this ad :)
A personal friend of mine scored a 23 and 24 on her MCAT, and she is now an extremely successful resident at Mayo Clinic.
Who, beside the resident's mother, bestows the honor of "extremely successful" ? What is the significance?

You will never have the door shut on your simply because of an MCAT score unless it's past the threshold of mediocrity or your stats are extremely unbalanced (I.E a 4 in VR would look quite poor).
Most would view a 24 as being past the threshold of mediocrity.

I agree with the BS comment, that person must be an extremely successful resident somewhere.

Who, beside the resident's mother, bestows the honor of "extremely successful" ? What is the significance?

Most would view a 24 as being past the threshold of mediocrity.

I agree with the BS comment, that person must be an extremely successful resident somewhere.

In my eyes, being A) a resident at Mayo Clinic and B) a chief resident is extremely successful. Obviously "extremely successful" is an opinion, and that's my opinion. :thumbup:

And I would agree, 24 is past the threshold of mediocrity, but I didn't say that was some rule set in stone. In this case, clearly it wasn't.

Middle level Mcat+ok Gpa+decent ECs+good Lor+apply to 20 to 30 school+good interview skills= Acceptance.....

I recommend you stop worrying about the luck of others and keep your stuff workin'.... Besides do you honestly think anyone is going to care if you had a 3.4 in undergrad when you get into med school? Roll with it, just do your best and help out when you can.

Whoever posted this needs to really think before they speak next time. As a person who went to the school that you were most likely talking about I can tell you that pretty much everything you said was wrong. Our school does not average 22-25 on the MCAT, yes we do have people that score in this range but the majority are above this. And believe it or not we even have people that get 32, 35 or 37's among many other scores. Next our extracurricular activities aren't average, they are very much above average because we stress that part of our application very much. 100% of our students don't get accepted, more like high 80's or 90's and it is because rather than waiting to get into an MD school we choose to go to DO schools because most of us just want to be physicians. How ignorant are you to say that 100% of the students go on missions. I didn't and I know plenty of others who didn't, so try not to generalize anymore by using absolute statements like that. In the end we have very well rounded applications so even the people who don't blow the MCAT away still get into good schools because our school does a great job of preparing us.

100% is a very bold statistic, no matter what you're talking about. What school is this and where did you hear this statistic? Just remember, you can't believe everything you hear or read unless it can be verified as a reliable source.

This is the school I go to. The highest MCAT score is a 28. I am sorry I would not like to mention the name of the school.

Are they all "super-courteous white males?" I'll buy what you're saying, but I have to think there is some serious data-engineering going on to get that kind of acceptance rate. Glad you're having success and best of luck.

I am suspecting data engineering myself. BUT apart from me - and I have spoken in person to our President - no one even suspects data engineering. Everyone from the President down thinks that is ridiculous. And yes, ALL are super-courteous White males who have served a 2 year Mormon mission.

Whoever posted this needs to really think before they speak next time. As a person who went to the school that you were most likely talking about I can tell you that pretty much everything you said was wrong. Our school does not average 22-25 on the MCAT, yes we do have people that score in this range but the majority are above this. And believe it or not we even have people that get 32, 35 or 37's among many other scores. Next our extracurricular activities aren't average, they are very much above average because we stress that part of our application very much. 100% of our students don't get accepted, more like high 80's or 90's and it is because rather than waiting to get into an MD school we choose to go to DO schools because most of us just want to be physicians. How ignorant are you to say that 100% of the students go on missions. I didn't and I know plenty of others who didn't, so try not to generalize anymore by using absolute statements like that. In the end we have very well rounded applications so even the people who don't blow the MCAT away still get into good schools because our school does a great job of preparing us.

I am pretty sure you don't go to my school.

This is the school I go to. The highest MCAT score is a 28. I am sorry I would not like to mention the name of the school.

You not willing to state the school makes this all pretty suspect... Just sayin... unless you frequently go by here2learn around campus I think you willl be fine mentioning it.

You not willing to state the school makes this all pretty suspect... Just sayin... unless you frequently go by here2learn around campus I think you willl be fine mentioning it.

I have posted in another thread how I have no friends and stuff like that. I just want to be anonymous. Let's not worry about the name of the school.

Is it possible that medical schools actually - in the name of diversity - bend backwards to admit Mormons who have served two year missions despite their 24 MCAT scores?

:rolleyes: But he's a non-Mormon from the east coast so he would then stick out like a sore thumb once everyone knows where this imaginary school is.

Dirt has already said all that needs to be said for this thread:

I have posted in another thread how I have no friends and stuff like that. I just want to be anonymous. Let's not worry about the name of the school.

Is it possible that medical schools actually - in the name of diversity - bend backwards to admit Mormons who have served two year missions despite their 24 MCAT scores?

I think we may soon to have to get out the

258Troll_spray.jpg

Or maybe it's just that this is the OP:

mormon.jpg

Are you seriously saying that the highest MCAT score any pre-med at your school has gotten is a 28? That's terrible, and doesn't reflect good things about the school or its students.

It may not be 100% but Colby College has a pretty high acceptance rate, which is why my friend chose to go there after high school.

During the past decade, the medical school acceptance rate for Colby students has been about 75%.

Actually, they fare pretty well in most health care fields

The dental school acceptance rate during the past decade has been approximately 95%.

The veterinary school acceptance rate during the past decade has been about 84%.

http://www.colby.edu/career.serv/student/grad/health/statistics.shtml

100% sounds almost too good to be true but I'd be pretty damn impressed with anything close. Heck, I'm impressed with 75% from this little known liberal arts school. Virtually unknown to me, anyway. My friend's the only one I know who goes there or ever went there. Maybe I should have went! :laugh:

Perhaps people who interrupt their education to go to a third world country, learn a new language, get tropical diseases and serve others for two years have something to talk about in their personal statements.

Yes that's why the acceptance to MD schools percentage from BYU is around 50% still just like the rest of the nation :rolleyes:

It may not be 100% but Colby College has a pretty high acceptance rate, which is why my friend chose to go there after high school.

During the past decade, the medical school acceptance rate for Colby students has been about 75%.

Actually, they fare pretty well in most health care fields

The dental school acceptance rate during the past decade has been approximately 95%.

The veterinary school acceptance rate during the past decade has been about 84%.

http://www.colby.edu/career.serv/student/grad/health/statistics.shtml

100% sounds almost too good to be true but I'd be pretty damn impressed with anything close. Heck, I'm impressed with 75% from this little known liberal arts school. Virtually unknown to me, anyway. My friend's the only one I know who goes there or ever went there. Maybe I should have went! :laugh:

So how do Colby students have such a high acceptance rate? I called someone I knew there who said their MCAT scores are rather lame. They still get into top schools like Harvard? Is this a case of schools discriminating in favor of White Mormons for the sake of diversity? Do some other factors come into play here?

So how do Colby students have such a high acceptance rate? I called someone I knew there who said their MCAT scores are rather lame. They still get into top schools like Harvard? Is this a case of schools discriminating in favor of White Mormons for the sake of diversity? Do some other factors come into play here?

Yes, schools want more white people. The idea of URM is just a hoax. It's actually the exact opposite. Schools want more white people because they are more likely to to pay off their student loans and have been shown to be more intelligent as this study reveals.

[/sarcasm]

It sounds like you don't go to my old school because SUU has never had a high score of 28 in all the years I was there and I know the high this year was better than that. That only leaves one more small school in Utah that I can think of? Oh and the last time I checked schools don't increase the amount of white males they accept to increase diversity.

1. Very good MCAT
2. Very good GPA

Wrong. You are confusing cause with effect. The KEY to getting into medical school is somehow convincing an admissions committee that you have the dedication, work ethic, and character needed to someday become a successful physician that the school can be proud of.

There is more than one way to accomplish that.

It just so happens that for the average person like you or me the items on the list you generated there are generally the best indicators of aptitude they've got. Whenever somebody asks if they will "be ok" with a below average GPA or MCAT, the answer is always "Is the rest of your application strong enough to convince an adcom to let you in despite your poor _____?" If the answer is yes, then you'll be fine; if it is no, you will most likely not get in anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.