How do top 20s view retakes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cke11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With my stats, I don't think I could get into one anyways, I was just wondering if you know of people getting in with retakes on MCATs or do you just have to put in the perfect application?

Members don't see this ad.

With my stats, I don't think I could get into one anyways, I was just wondering if you know of people getting in with retakes on MCATs or do you just have to put in the perfect application?
Have you already taken the MCAT?
If not, then don't take it until you're very confident in the score you'll be getting. Avoid retakes at all costs.

Have you already taken the MCAT?
If not, then don't take it until you're very confident in the score you'll be getting. Avoid retakes at all costs.
I received a 501, retake is my only option, don't think its an absolute killer tho

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a 501, retake is my only option, don't think its an absolute killer tho
I mean....I wouldn't expect anything to come out of the top 20 applications in that case. A 501 a bit lethal

Top 20s want just that the top percentile, cream of the crop, retake and get like a 515 or higher and hope the rest of your app speaks for itself

You'll have to retake and get 512+ for consideration for any MD school let alone the top 20. Remember some schools average MCATs and even if they don't that 501 will always be on your record for all to see. Good luck on your retake.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Well for Top 20s, the matriculant medians are around 518-521. Averaging is usually recommended for retakes (esp for exams with same format like two 2015 exams).

If you retake and somehow score a 528, your average will be a 514.5, which is below the school medians. That said, a 27-point jump is significant of its own since it defies retake statistics so you could attract top schools to interview you with high retake scores.

Aim for a 518+ on the retake (ideally 520+).

Reactions: 1 users
OP , we don't know your other stats, but how did you manage a 501? That's awfully low for someone planning on applying to top 20 schools.

Reactions: 2 users
My thought would be is that someone who has a 4.0 and gets a 501 either didn't apply themselves to study for the MCAT or went to a school with a large amount of grade inflation. Both of which are real possibilities

I wouldn't even worry about top 20 schools at the moment. Assuming the rest of your app is in order (which we have no clue on because you neglected to provide that info), devote all your attention to pulling that MCAT up. As of now, you're not very competitive for any MD school, let alone the top twenties.

Thank you all for the advice. Like I said before I don't plan on applying to any top 20s because of my stats, it was really just a question I was curious about.

Just a quick FYI- no matter where you apply you should have the absolutely best application possible.

From this statement I thought you were planning to apply to top 20s.

Just a quick FYI- no matter where you apply you should have the absolutely best application possible.

I completely understand. I didn't apply this cycle so I can retake and put out the best application I can next cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
N=1, but a good friend of mine scored in the mid 20's on his first MCAT, scored in the low 30's on his retake, and was accepted to a top 20. The rest of his application was good, but nothing extraordinary IMO. Assuming your GPA and EC's are on point, anything is possible.

This place has such a hard on for averaging your MCAT scores to determine your fit. I had to retake the exam with a score lower than yours on my first take. Before I started this cycle, I called every school I was planning on applying to with the goal of finding out who would average my scores. Only two places I spoke to said they would, and those who consider all of them after hearing how much I improved between takes, said they won't consider my first take. So far I have two II's at some decent MD schools.

I know, n=1 and what not but the only advise you need is to retake the exam, do the best you can, apply to as many schools as possible, and hope for the best.

Even if you have stellar stats there's no guarantee of getting into a top 20 school/any school

Focus on bringing up your mcat into a reasonable and realistic range of improvement (510), work on your ECs and then apply broadly and a few reach schools