Southpawz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2005
www.learnmed.net
Status
Write it out, draw it out, make a pneumonic, make a mind map, repeat it over and over to yourself, make a joke out of it with your friends. There are tons of ways but you'll have to see which method works for you the best.

About the Ads

rockdoc

MSIV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Weirdoc said:
Read and re-read... Once you start dreaming about biochemical pathways, you're good to go.

yellowcat322

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
LA
Status
Medical Student
rockdoc said:
Read and re-read... Once you start dreaming about biochemical pathways, you're good to go.
:laugh: So true. I had a dream about studying Pharm last night , and I woke up to realize I spent my whole dream trying to memorize nonsense. Last block it was nothing but anatomy dreams for the whole week before exams.That;s a true sign that you're studying actively, when it seeps into your poor unsuspecting unconsciousness.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
5 pass approach:
Day before lecture:
1. 5-10 minutes: Pre-read of notes
-read headings & subheadings of chapter or section of notes
-read diagrams
-read a few of the first sentences of major paragraphs
2. 20-60minutes: Read the notes through without stopping, realizing that I won't understand everything
-length of time spent here depends on length of notes

Day of lecture (or after):
3. Watch lecture (preferably at 2x)
-supplement notes with any additional important info
-highlight sections lecturer deams important
4. Read & understand the notes
-work on learning important parts emphasized in lecture
-identify key concepts that need more work
5. Test Review: Review key concepts & problem areas
-Typically done a couple days before the exam
-Practice Questions

If I am lacking time, sometimes I combine 4 & 5. The key to memorizing is to actually understand the concepts, repetition & review, and associating the concepts in a manner that helps you remember them.

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I use the dork board method for subjects that you really have to memorize (biochem pathways, anatomy topics, pharm drug classes, etc.) - I also love mnemonics.

take out the good old dry erase board and draw it out, I make myself do it at least 7 times (by the time to get to 7 you pretty much have it down). Do this 3 days in a row and you're not gonna forget it (for the test anyway).

J

run4boston

formerly Run
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
San Jose, CA
Status
DOctorJay said:
I use the dork board method for subjects that you really have to memorize (biochem pathways, anatomy topics, pharm drug classes, etc.) - I also love mnemonics.

take out the good old dry erase board and draw it out, I make myself do it at least 7 times (by the time to get to 7 you pretty much have it down). Do this 3 days in a row and you're not gonna forget it (for the test anyway).

J

Or get some blank paper and regurgitate over and over.... this way you don't get that nasty ink all over your hands, and breathe in yet another chemical on top of formaldehyde. :D

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Canada
Status
Dentist
I read something a few times.
First time, kinda slow, to get everything in, notice new words etc.
2nd time, a bit faster.
By the 3rd time(if i even reach here, according to how hard the material is) I usually just look for key ideas, and then extrapolate on the in my head myself.

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Weirdoc said:
I read it see it or hear it and then I remember it.

ask a stupid question get a stupid answer

About the Ads

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
Try teaching it to someone else. If you can't find another person who will listen to you, then teach the material to a dog, the wall, or even a stuffed animal. If you are comfortable presenting material, then you'll know it well enough for an exam.

Catalyst

Enjoying Life
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2002
MD/NYC
Status
Association is key. After I learn a topic (say valvular disease), I try to integrate what I've learned when studying new topics (e.g. how an MI can cause mitral regurgitation). I actively annotate my notes with these connections as I go along.

Teaching is also worthwhile; I definitely know my anatomy better after being an anatomy TA this year.

ddmo

BMF
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
1.Go to lecture if available and just sit and try to absorb as much as possible without looking at the syllabus or transcribing what they are saying.
2.Read the days material at night, no highlighting, just writting notes in the margins and underlining.
3. Repeat step 2 starting about a week before an exam.
4. Read in detail again, underlining or circling anything I don't know in a different color pen, the day or two before the exam.
5. Read the colored notes from 4 on the day of the exam.

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
the only problem is enough time for repetition. i never have time to go over things more than 3x.

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
IMO flashcards are the most time consuming yet most effective way to study. Drawing diagrams and making mnemonic devices works well too.

DieselPetrolGrl

twisterChamp&so much more
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Weirdoc said:

write down what u need to learn on a note...give yourself 10 minuites to have it cold...if not then you haveto eat it - your getting that info in you one way or another damnit!

the anger of having to make yourself eat a whole page is stimulation enough to memeorize it quickly instead.

Arsenic

posting from the future
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
DieselPetrolGrl said:
write down what u need to learn on a note...give yourself 10 minuites to have it cold...if not then you haveto eat it - your getting that info in you one way or another damnit!

the anger of having to make yourself eat a whole page is stimulation enough to memeorize it quickly instead.
:laugh:

ok, it finally happened. med school finally broke you.

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Canada
Status
Dentist
You really just need to figure out what works for you. It took me my time in highschool(performing medicore) to finally find my technique, which I use to this day.
Using someone elses studying techniques might be like trying to fit into Shaq's shoes, it's not going to fit.
Experiment and see what works.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
The best coast (west coast)
Status
I use a combination of virtualflashcards.com ( I bought the full version b/c their 20 per set wasn't working) + making up mneumonics and drawing things out worked well for me. I couldn't imagine using traditional flashcards - they take too long to write and organize and it's easy for a couple of them to get lost.

gaikokujin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
New Orleans
Status
if you have a mac, iflash is a FANTASTIC program for making flashcards. It's basically a computerized flashcard program. this works better for some subjects than others.

for more visual things, i just draw it millions of times until my crappy, defective brain finally remembers it. and then i forget it the next day and do it all over again! after about 3 days, you get it.

About the Ads