How do u memorize something

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Reborn24

?

Members don't see this ad.

Write it out, draw it out, make a pneumonic, make a mind map, repeat it over and over to yourself, make a joke out of it with your friends. There are tons of ways but you'll have to see which method works for you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weirdoc said:
Read and re-read... Once you start dreaming about biochemical pathways, you're good to go.

rockdoc said:
Read and re-read... Once you start dreaming about biochemical pathways, you're good to go.

:laugh: So true. I had a dream about studying Pharm last night , and I woke up to realize I spent my whole dream trying to memorize nonsense. Last block it was nothing but anatomy dreams for the whole week before exams.That;s a true sign that you're studying actively, when it seeps into your poor unsuspecting unconsciousness.

5 pass approach:
Day before lecture:
1. 5-10 minutes: Pre-read of notes
-read headings & subheadings of chapter or section of notes
-read diagrams
-read a few of the first sentences of major paragraphs
2. 20-60minutes: Read the notes through without stopping, realizing that I won't understand everything
-length of time spent here depends on length of notes

Day of lecture (or after):
3. Watch lecture (preferably at 2x)
-supplement notes with any additional important info
-highlight sections lecturer deams important
4. Read & understand the notes
-work on learning important parts emphasized in lecture
-identify key concepts that need more work
5. Test Review: Review key concepts & problem areas
-Typically done a couple days before the exam
-Practice Questions

If I am lacking time, sometimes I combine 4 & 5. The key to memorizing is to actually understand the concepts, repetition & review, and associating the concepts in a manner that helps you remember them.

I use the dork board method for subjects that you really have to memorize (biochem pathways, anatomy topics, pharm drug classes, etc.) - I also love mnemonics.

take out the good old dry erase board and draw it out, I make myself do it at least 7 times (by the time to get to 7 you pretty much have it down). Do this 3 days in a row and you're not gonna forget it (for the test anyway).

J

DOctorJay said:
I use the dork board method for subjects that you really have to memorize (biochem pathways, anatomy topics, pharm drug classes, etc.) - I also love mnemonics.

take out the good old dry erase board and draw it out, I make myself do it at least 7 times (by the time to get to 7 you pretty much have it down). Do this 3 days in a row and you're not gonna forget it (for the test anyway).

J

Or get some blank paper and regurgitate over and over.... this way you don't get that nasty ink all over your hands, and breathe in yet another chemical on top of formaldehyde. :D

I read something a few times.
First time, kinda slow, to get everything in, notice new words etc.
2nd time, a bit faster.
By the 3rd time(if i even reach here, according to how hard the material is) I usually just look for key ideas, and then extrapolate on the in my head myself.

Weirdoc said:

I read it see it or hear it and then I remember it.

ask a stupid question get a stupid answer

Members don't see this ad :)
Try teaching it to someone else. If you can't find another person who will listen to you, then teach the material to a dog, the wall, or even a stuffed animal. If you are comfortable presenting material, then you'll know it well enough for an exam.

Association is key. After I learn a topic (say valvular disease), I try to integrate what I've learned when studying new topics (e.g. how an MI can cause mitral regurgitation). I actively annotate my notes with these connections as I go along.

Teaching is also worthwhile; I definitely know my anatomy better after being an anatomy TA this year.

1.Go to lecture if available and just sit and try to absorb as much as possible without looking at the syllabus or transcribing what they are saying.
2.Read the days material at night, no highlighting, just writting notes in the margins and underlining.
3. Repeat step 2 starting about a week before an exam.
4. Read in detail again, underlining or circling anything I don't know in a different color pen, the day or two before the exam.
5. Read the colored notes from 4 on the day of the exam.

repetition. repetition. repetition. no substitute for hard work.

the only problem is enough time for repetition. i never have time to go over things more than 3x.

IMO flashcards are the most time consuming yet most effective way to study. Drawing diagrams and making mnemonic devices works well too.

Weirdoc said:

write down what u need to learn on a note...give yourself 10 minuites to have it cold...if not then you haveto eat it - your getting that info in you one way or another damnit!

the anger of having to make yourself eat a whole page is stimulation enough to memeorize it quickly instead.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
write down what u need to learn on a note...give yourself 10 minuites to have it cold...if not then you haveto eat it - your getting that info in you one way or another damnit!

the anger of having to make yourself eat a whole page is stimulation enough to memeorize it quickly instead.
:laugh:

ok, it finally happened. med school finally broke you.

You really just need to figure out what works for you. It took me my time in highschool(performing medicore) to finally find my technique, which I use to this day.
Using someone elses studying techniques might be like trying to fit into Shaq's shoes, it's not going to fit.
Experiment and see what works.

I use a combination of virtualflashcards.com ( I bought the full version b/c their 20 per set wasn't working) + making up mneumonics and drawing things out worked well for me. I couldn't imagine using traditional flashcards - they take too long to write and organize and it's easy for a couple of them to get lost.

if you have a mac, iflash is a FANTASTIC program for making flashcards. It's basically a computerized flashcard program. this works better for some subjects than others.

for more visual things, i just draw it millions of times until my crappy, defective brain finally remembers it. and then i forget it the next day and do it all over again! after about 3 days, you get it.