how do u pronounce roux-en-y?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do u pronounce this word?

row in why?
roose in why?
rowenie?

Members don't see this ad.

bulldog said:
how do u pronounce this word?

row in why?
roose in why?
rowenie?

roo-enn-why

roo (like kanga-"roo")

enn (like the letter "n")

why (like the letter "y")

I have no idea what that means... but in French the pronunciation would be

roo (like kangaroo)
zon (the x carries over to make a z sound, the "on" part is kind of nasal and doesn't really have an english equivalent)
ee (like in pee)

Members don't see this ad :)
lola said:

roo (like kangaroo)
zon (the x carries over to make a z sound, the "on" part is kind of nasal and doesn't really have an english equivalent)
ee (like in pee)
This is not France. Scholes is right. :D

Obviously you've never made a gumbo, which is always started by making a roux. And eating too much of it will cause you to end up needing a roux (-en-y, that is). ;)

cosmo said:
It is a type of weight loss surgery.

Wow... at first I thought you were joking about people having a roux-en-y for weight loss surgery. I'm from Canada and I've never heard of it being used for that (but I also haven't learned a great deal about bariatric surgery). I can't believe someone would have that done for weight loss!

andros said:
Wow... at first I thought you were joking about people having a roux-en-y for weight loss surgery. I'm from Canada and I've never heard of it being used for that (but I also haven't learned a great deal about bariatric surgery). I can't believe someone would have that done for weight loss!

With a BMI of 40+, serious health consequences refractory to lifestyle modifications and medications rest assured you'd let a stranger rearrange your small bowel as well!

andros said:
I'm from Canada and I've never heard of it being used for that......

What do they use it for in Canada?

It sickens me that this is what it's come to in America.... but here we are.

Telemachus said:
It sickens me that this is what it's come to in America.... but here we are.

Yep. So, who wants McDonalds?

Members don't see this ad :)
cosmo said:
It is a type of weight loss surgery.

It can be used for that but pops up in a variety of different situations.

lola said:

roo (like kangaroo)
ee (like in pee)

Actually that is wrong. En francais it would be Roo yan eee . sorry no Z sounds in french really or rarely unless a z is in there.

TheCat said:
Actually that is wrong. En francais it would be Roo yan eee . sorry no Z sounds in french really or rarely unless a z is in there.

Thank you, french linguistics police.

TheCat said:

It's not wrong if that is its pronunciation in common usage. Did you know forte (like, "thats not my forte") is actually pronounced "fort"?...but you would sound like an idiot if you pronounced it right. But I'm not sure if either of those are common, eh nevermind...

Interesting tid bit - never understood why it was called bariatric surgery until I rotated with minimally invasive surgery (one of the surgeons on the team pretty much focues primarily on roux-en-y).

Anyway, he told me the reason its called bariatric surgery is b/c all the pressure on the internal organs from all the extra fat forces the pressure in the abdominal cavity to rise. Similar to the barometric pressure rising with change in the weather hence, bariatric surgery. Not sure if this is the real reason on not but it made sense to me (not that I had ever really thought hard about it).

scholes said:
roo-enn-why

roo (like kanga-"roo")

enn (like the letter "n")

why (like the letter "y")

It's not roo-enn-why. It's roo-ON-why. ;)

I think Orange Julius is right for the English pronunciation. But...

lola said:

roo (like kangaroo)
ee (like in pee)
TheCat said:
I don't see why lola would be wrong in French. Why wouldn't there be a liaison between roux and en? And in liaisons, "x" sounds like "z". Just say "deux amis".

I'm guessing the only difference is that "y" would be pronounced as "eegrek" like the letter since it's the shape that's being emphasized. But apart from that, lola's comment seemed fine.

(nicedream) said:
Did somebody say McDonalds?

Last time I heard someone say that was at 3 am. the weekend after an anatomy final. Several hundred nuggets were ordered and we were told to call ahead in the future (after convincing the drive thru speaker box that we were serious).

It is a shame that for some people, you literally have to take out their damn stomach for them to lose weight.

When you think about it, it is such a depraved solution. You must be such a lazy disgusting fata$$ that there's no hope for you...yes the only way we can have you shed pounds is to TAKE OUT YOUR STOMACH! You madam/sir, are not worthy of the organs that God gave you...you have abused it to such an extent that we must taketh the stomach away.

Only in America.

ForensicsBound said:
It is a shame that for some people, you literally have to take out their damn stomach for them to lose weight.

When you think about it, it is such a depraved solution. You must be such a lazy disgusting fata$$ that there's no hope for you...yes the only way we can have you shed pounds is to TAKE OUT YOUR STOMACH! You madam/sir, are not worthy of the organs that God gave you...you have abused it to such an extent that we must taketh the stomach away.

Only in America.

You know I was actually watching MTV the other day and they had a true life on about overweight teenagers who were getting gastric bypass. I kept thinking to myself, are these people serious. What ever happened to loosing weight with diet and exercise. The one kid actually was eating a whole family sized bag of Cheetos while saying that he thinks that GB is the only way hes going to loose weight. HELLO, put down the cheetos and get off your butt and do something. Its really sad. What they don't tell you about is the complications that can occur - I took care of a patient while I was on the minimally invasive surgery team that had a 'botched' procedure at another hospital. She had something like three exploratory laps, has a huge scar along with now having a colonic stricture that required a colostomy which is better then where she was heading (that being death). My next door neighbor also had several complications from the surgery - she almost died too. None of the pts think about this - they just think it will be the quick fix they are looking for.

loveumms said:
Interesting tid bit - never understood why it was called bariatric surgery until I rotated with minimally invasive surgery (one of the surgeons on the team pretty much focues primarily on roux-en-y).

Anyway, he told me the reason its called bariatric surgery is b/c all the pressure on the internal organs from all the extra fat forces the pressure in the abdominal cavity to rise. Similar to the barometric pressure rising with change in the weather hence, bariatric surgery. Not sure if this is the real reason on not but it made sense to me (not that I had ever really thought hard about it).

"baros" = weight in greek. "iatros" = doctor. Hence, bariatric.

Orange Julius said:
OJ is right.

We use it for gatric ca over here mainly. Haven't ever seen bariatric surgery, but then I don't think it's something that gets done for free much over here (so wouldn't be seen in teaching hospitals, which are all public).

Orange Julius said:

Yes, emphasis on the why, as in why do I have to take this stupid rotation..