how do we find out our profile

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by jimjones, Aug 22, 2001.

1. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member

I'm very curious to see what GPA aacomas has put down for me. I repeated 2 classes, only they were at different institutions and had different course numbers, so I'm not sure it will wash.
    I've recieved secondaries from some schools, but no profile from AACOMAS. How do I find this out?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason

It is the strange thing about the "system".. The schools get you AACOMAS before you see it. Call AACOM and find out when they plan/sent it.. All my schools had mine before I got a copy.

Strange thing also which I didnt know... I finished my undergrad in 1995 and I am working on my Master's degree now. AACOM clumps all that together in reporting your GPA. This is much to my dismay, since undergrad, was, well, umm, not reflective of my intellectual capabilities. ;) Atleast they list separate columns of Undergrad and Grad, which I liked. Yet, I noticed some schools (AZCOM in particular) didn't really take notice of it. It is similiar to getting into a car accident when you were 19 years old and still paying higher car insurance rates now that you are 30. Ho Hum.

-A

4. algae

algae Senior Member

I have a question for you Amra - I also had a few casualities as an undergrad before going on to a Master's degree, and I too am dismayed that AACOMAS clumps undergrad and grad as one gpa. What do you mean that AZCOM didn't seem to notice? I'm asking because I applied there too.

5. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason

Unfortunately (for me), my combined GPA from undergrad and graduate school is 2.74. AZCOM (and most others) have a minimum GPA requirement before the will send a secondary. I missed AZCOM's cutoff by 0.01 point. As a result, I got a "did not meet our mimimum requirements" letter from AZCOM. I called them to discuss this and I was told simply "I missed by 0.01 point" and if I took any summer classes (which I did) that would boost my GPA over the min, then they would gladly send me my secondary.

I freaked.. needless to say. As a result, I called/visited a few of the other schools I applied to. They recognized the difference and said I should be expecting secondaries shortly. Which I have received.

Now, I thought about this... Here is a school (AZCOM) interested only in my grades not what I can bring to the table as a medical student. In addition, the school was (IMO) short sited not to differentiate between my GPA currently (well over 3.0 taking graduate biochemistry classes) and my GPA from undergrad (over 7 years ago). Therefore, I decided that I didnt want to goto AZCOM even though I (now) exceed their short-sited minimum requirements.

Now, please don't give me lectures on how great a school AZCOM is. I'm sure it is a good school. Actually, I read the stats on the school for COMLEX and seen its match lists. However, MY OPINION is that it is a school not interested in the entire candidate, which says to me a lot about the school and how they represent osteopathic medicine (the holistic approach to healing).

-A

6. algae

algae Senior Member

Amra - I completely agree with your sentiments. Hopefully there are schools that'll use their own philosophy and look at applicants as a whole. I'm counting on it anyways. Good luck!