How do we get beyond careless errors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lastbastion

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It just occured to me that no matter how much science one knows, a high MCAT score is reflective of a minimal amount of careless errors. After reviewing all of my practice tests, I've found that the wrong answers were not due to lack of knowledge but instead a lack of focus. I didn't see that the passage stated this in line whatever. I didn't see the word except. I didn't recognize a relationship even though I can recite why such a relationship would lead to the correct answer.

My question is, how do good test takers overcome this flaw that I and so many others have?

Members don't see this ad.

lastbastion said:
It just occured to me that no matter how much science one knows, a high MCAT score is reflective of a minimal amount of careless errors. After reviewing all of my practice tests, I've found that the wrong answers were not due to lack of knowledge but instead a lack of focus. I didn't see that the passage stated this in line whatever. I didn't see the word except. I didn't recognize a relationship even though I can recite why such a relationship would lead to the correct answer.

My question is, how do good test takers overcome this flaw that I and so many others have?

I take an ice cold shower before the MCAT. Wakes me up all refreshed, and ready to conquer the world, or at least the physical sciences...

If we knew how to conquer the careless mistakes, we'd all be getting 45! Remember the MCAT not only tests your knowledge, but your endurance as well.

Everyone is pretty much drained at the end of the day. All you can do is try to remain focused. Have something sweet on your breaks to keep your energy up...

Reviewing mistakes is good because you'll maybe catch yourself next time. But, when you're stressed for time, you'll make stupid errors only because there's not enough time to fully think things through. That's why most of my mistakes are near the end of every section, especially for VR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes I decide on a choice and then go right ahead and circle the wrong one only because I'm so freaking absent minded. It scares me... I've been more focused intoxicated.

If I told ya, everyone would get 45 :) But seriously, the answer is always there in the passage, you just have to find it. And while you may be dismissive of stupid mistakes, these same stupid mistakes are magnified in the real world.