How do you answer this FSU secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sallyhasanidea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions (500 words)

Should you answer the above secondary in terms of the competencies listed by AAMC? https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/competencies/
Should we just go one by one through the competencies and describe how we fulfill it?

Should we explicitly state in the essay "I have achieved the AAMC's critical thinking competency by...." or should we state "I am able to critically think as evidenced by...."

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Frame your "critical analysis" with the core competencies, but be implicit about it. Remember, show--don't tell. (i.e. you don't want to say "I demonstrated cultural competence by X, Y, and Z").

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you have the right idea. Frame your "critical analysis" with the core competencies, but be implicit about it. Remember, show--don't tell. (i.e. you don't want to say "I demonstrated cultural competence by X, Y, and Z").

How would you frame this if you don't say it that way?

"I did X, Y, and Z and in doing so I have interacted with people from several different cultures"?

Hi,

When did you receive the secondary? My primary was verified 6/24 and I've received all the school's secondaries except for FSU and FAU :(

When I did it last year I just wrote about how my personal and academic experiences qualified me to be doctor. Then talked about how great primary care is for professional ambitions...

I got rejected though :oops:

Answer it the best way you see fit. Were there classes that helped direct you to medicine or reaffirm your choice to pursue medicine? Have you been challenged to juggle multiple obligations or forced to say no in order to prioritize projects? Have you failed at certain things and learned from those mistakes? Think of this as an epilogue or addendum to your personal statement providing more of the nuts and bolts and less of the pie-in-the-sky ambition.

And FWIW, not that it was this essay that sold them, but I was one of the few OOS applicants to get an II from FSU.