How do you answer "Why do you wish to attend "Insert any dental school"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mason91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is a very straightforward question, they are testing you to see if you have taken the time to research the school at all and want to hear you say something specific that demonstrates this. Check out what the school is well known for, read of few research papers from current faculty, maybe they have a great placement rate for specialty programs....basically anything that shows you have genuine interest in the school and you aren't using them as a backup plan.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I normally bring up a few programs that are of interest to me. I try to touch base on all aspects of the school (clinical, research, outreach).

This question is pretty easy for me because every school I applied to I had researched for a specific reason why I would go there. In my recent interview, I explained to them what programs I liked at their school and how the programs will help me achieve my goals as a dentist.

I checked the school websites and look into the interesting things that make each unique. Some of them have little blog links that show cool things going on in the school. Others have videos (like BU) or sections with details of the curriculum.

Good ol' research and speaking to the students before going to the interviews.

The best way to do this is to reach out to current students. You'll understand why they chose that school and it may line up with yours.