Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How do you apply to med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by arboth, Apr 26, 2007.

1. arboth

Pre-Medical
    I'm a junior and will be taking my MCAT this August. Can I submit my primary application before I take my MCAT? What exactly constitutes as applyin early, normal and late? Is there a significant advantage towards applying early?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chable

chable A sphincter says, "what."

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't you have a "36 (12, 12, 12)" MCAT score already? Go talk to your pre-med guidance counselor.

4. GreenShirt

Medical Student
    You can submit your AMCAS before your MCAT. Your app won't be sent to schools until the MCAT is submitted, but they can start calculating your GPA.

The primary deadlines for schools are October 15-December 15
    http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/deadlines.htm

Submitting in June/July is good, August/September is getting late, October/November would be very late.

5. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...

Resident [Any Field]
    There is an advantage applying early. Depending on your scores, it may be significant for you. If you are a Texas resident, and applying to Texas schools, you damn well better apply as early as humanly possible.

6. Dart1516

Dart1516 Junior Member

Pre-Medical

Your app will be submitted prior to receiving an MCAT score. Some schools (those that do not establish cutoffs based on mcat score) will send you their secondary before they receive your mcat score. Other schools will wait for you MCAT score, but AMCAS will send your materials along once your GPA has been determined and all supporting materials are in.

7. arboth

Pre-Medical
    my gpa isnt as high as it should be and im hoping to get into a top 5 school. so i figure if i can hit the 40 mark, i'll be good to go. im just worried that schools like harvard and washington u are gonna get ridiculous amounts of applicants immediately. wish i had that 4.0

8. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Tell me this is sarcasm

9. DrLizzie

DrLizzie Still in the game

Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. foofish

Medical Student
    Or a troll, since I'd wager anyone capable of a 36 on the MCAT is also smart enough to a) know to talk to their premed adviser and b) figure out how to apply to med school before actually applying to med school.

Also, as far as med school ambition goes, it's a pretty big jump from Jefferson and Drexel to Harvard.... :confused:

11. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    The cardinal sin around here is to presume a good core on the MCAT before you take it. Folks who struggled with GPA rarely "rock" the MCAT, so until your score is in your post reads like a "what if I won the lottery?" post.

Forget about top 5 schools until you have credentials that merit such. At this point you should be hoping to score well enough to get into a med school. Half of all applicants wont.

12. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

the people who say "I'm shooting for a 40" are the ones that take it three times to break 30.

It's the people that say "i have no idea what I'll score, I hope its good" that end up getting over 40. because they suck :p

13. foofish

Medical Student
    Ah, Law2Doc, but I think you missed that the OP is one of that special breed that is retaking the MCAT because they are unhappy with their 36. Logic and rational thought clearly already does not prevail here. :laugh:

Personally, I'd be more concerned about that 3.2 gpa (or whatever it is).

14. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member

Medical Student
    Same folks who always say "I donno.. I either completely aced or failed it.. you know what I mean?" after you ask them how they did on a test, and you have no choice but to say "Haha.. yeah man I know what you mean." :thumbdown:

15. dbhvt

dbhvt Senior Member

Medical Student
    Why don't you have the 4.0?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    You're right - should have checked. Looking at his posts in other threads (in addition to his inconsistent MCAT story) I also see that he has also stated he is hoping to have a shot at GW, Drexel and Jefferson. Not exactly members of "the top five", but perhaps more realistic given his reported GPA.