1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

how do you approach a dentist for shadowing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ddsshin, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ddsshin

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I need to shadow a dentist, so I am trying to find out a dentist. but I am not sure how to approach them?
    Do I just call them to see if they are hiring, or should I walk-in ?????
    Also, I live in OC. Can anyone recommend any good dentist from Irvine area who will write good LOR??? Thanks;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hardwork2009

hardwork2009 Go Hogs!!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well I'm from Arkansas so I can't help you out with the area lol, but I just called and explained to the office manager how I was very interested in dental school and asked if I could come in and shadow. Almost everyone I talked to offered me a time that week that they had available.

3. smurf528

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    just call and ask if the dentist allows students to come in and shadow them. Some of them would be happy to others not so much. I asked my dentist and he didn't even know what shadowing meant. But, he let me do it anyways. He seemed like a jerk though and he didn't even say bye when I left. He just told the assistant to tell me I can leave. Sorry I had to blab on about this. I was pretty unhappy.

4. Lurchdubious

Lurchdubious the Homeless Ninja
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    WOW. That's a pretty rough experience. He didn't know what shadowing meant?

I had a lot of fun shadowing. Every dentist I called was more than willing to help. Two dentists were actually very good at explaining what they were doing as they did it, which was quite helpful as I didn't have any sort of dental background.

Just make a few phone calls and you should be able to find a good gig.

5. missdentista

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Me too. What school?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enso

Enso Dr. Troy
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Schedule a routine cleaning with the dentist of your choosing and warm him/her up with conversation. Ask them at the end of your cleaning, they should be gracious.

7. eternalxdemon

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Sometime last quarter I got an email from the Bio Sci office offering a mentorship program for the Juniors and Seniors. The mentorship program had a number of dentists that were looking to mentor students interested in their field. lemme find the link for you...

http://www.mentors.bio.uci.edu/

I looked at the website... apparently they were recruiting in Nov.... but maybe you can see if any of the Dentists are still looking... Good Luck!!!!

Or as another option you can do a yellow pages look of dentists practicing in Irvine and find a dentist that way...

8. hardwork2009

hardwork2009 Go Hogs!!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

ASU..you?

9. ChrisM07

ChrisM07 Dental Student
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just show up in scrubs unannounced and start cleaning tools. Worked for me :laugh:.

10. UCSF2012

UCSF2012 Tooth Rehab Student
    2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    You approach them the way you normally approach anyone else. Smile, be confident, but don't use a pick-up line.

11. sattimy1

Pre-Dental
    I basically just found the directory for the dentists in georgia online and then I took all of their emails and emailed all those close to me saying that I was pre-dent and really interested in coming in and observing them work. I also attached my resume to the email and I got a couple of calls back. The way I got my most recent shadowing gig was I heard that a dentist guest speaker was coming to my school to talk about his business and I just showed up and talked to him afterwards. He was excited that I was excited to come in. haha.

12. Lurchdubious

Lurchdubious the Homeless Ninja
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hah. We should start a thread with dental shadowing pickup lines.

13. Sophlu

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I just asked my orthodontist if I could shadow and she was excited that I asked. She had just graduated from her residency program and so it seemed like she felt honored to be asked. :)

14. missdentista

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    UCA :D

Good luck! Let me know when you get in. We may be classmates one day :)

15. link517

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The most painless way is to call dentists and say "Yo, i needa do some shadowin; you in?" Most dentists will happily oblige.