How do you become a cruise ship doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquapants

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's my new dream.

Members don't see this ad.

Do something bad that results in the loss of your license to practice medicine. At least that's the way it works in Italy according to my cousin who is a bartender on an Italian line.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of the workers on the cruse that I went on (royal carribean) were from foreign countries, including the doctor. The cruise line does this so that the dont have to pay workers substantialy. You could always join the Navy.....Now thats one big cruise ship!

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a report many years ago on Dateline about cruise docs. They said a lot of them never completed their residence and were not certified to practice anywhere else. Of course there are some retired docs that do it a few years just for fun. I have actually considered it for a retirement job.

As far as you you need to do to become one...pretty much just get through med school. Besides that you don't need many other qualifications.

you can just audition for the all new love boat

Ross would be the best bet. Direct cruise ship exposure

Reactions: 4 users
A friend's live-in nanny's son (Ukrainian citizens) works as a bar tender on Royal Caribbean. They work you like crazy and it's not fun or glamorous like you think it is. I read about cruise ship physicians before. While they get paid reasonably well compared to other people on the ship, they still work a ton and it's not like a big vacation for them. It's better to work hard on land, so you can actually take a cruise and enjoy it.

Which apparently is resuming their semester taking classes on a cruise ship, since their school was destroyed by the hurricane.
LthR0Q.jpg

15 year necrobump to make a Ross joke...A+

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 10 users