Trajan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Do something bad that results in the loss of your license to practice medicine. At least that's the way it works in Italy according to my cousin who is a bartender on an Italian line.

chypes

Caffine Addict
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2000
Ohio, USA
Visit site
Status
Most of the workers on the cruse that I went on (royal carribean) were from foreign countries, including the doctor. The cruise line does this so that the dont have to pay workers substantialy. You could always join the Navy.....Now thats one big cruise ship!

About the Ads

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
I saw a report many years ago on Dateline about cruise docs. They said a lot of them never completed their residence and were not certified to practice anywhere else. Of course there are some retired docs that do it a few years just for fun. I have actually considered it for a retirement job.

As far as you you need to do to become one...pretty much just get through med school. Besides that you don't need many other qualifications.

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A friend's live-in nanny's son (Ukrainian citizens) works as a bar tender on Royal Caribbean. They work you like crazy and it's not fun or glamorous like you think it is. I read about cruise ship physicians before. While they get paid reasonably well compared to other people on the ship, they still work a ton and it's not like a big vacation for them. It's better to work hard on land, so you can actually take a cruise and enjoy it.

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
About the Ads