How do you choose research between multiple competitive fields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MomJeansandDadJorts

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my M1 summer and currently doing research in a field Im not totally in love with due to covid messing up my previous plans. I know competitive specialties tend to look for research specifically in their field but I am undecided which field I want to go into. Im currently doing vascular research but am more interested in ortho, plastics, and IR (among others less competitive). We can't do shadowing now so its hard for me to try and narrow down my interests at this time and who knows about the future. With being interested in a couple competitive specialties, whats the best way to decide which projects to work on?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can find a project that has wide applicability like limb salvage (covers vascular, ortho, and plastics) or peripheral arterial disease (vascular and IR), that could work. In the meantime, you could scour SDN and /r/medicalschool for information about each of the fields to help you narrow it down some more.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in my M1 summer and currently doing research in a field Im not totally in love with due to covid messing up my previous plans. I know competitive specialties tend to look for research specifically in their field but I am undecided which field I want to go into. Im currently doing vascular research but am more interested in ortho, plastics, and IR (among others less competitive). We can't do shadowing now so its hard for me to try and narrow down my interests at this time and who knows about the future. With being interested in a couple competitive specialties, whats the best way to decide which projects to work on?
i was actually wondering the same thing. Well, ARE there several projects you can choose from? Because if not, anything is better than nothing.

The person whom i asked the same question (fellow) said that 1) if you are SURE about one particular specialty, try to do research in that. But Understand that if you change your mind during 3rd or 4th year rotations it might look a bit weird that you have 4-5 research projects in OB/GYN, for example, and then suddenly apply for ortho. 2) If you are NOT too sure, keeping it diverse is fine! It shows that you are versatile, have broad interests and are exploring.

Also, understand that projects do not have to sound exactly like your specialty. For example, your vascular research is kind of applicable to all those fields in a way, you know? I did research in gliomas (immunohistochemical markers of gliomas), - that is applicable to pathology, neurology, neurosurgery. You get my point.

that person also told me that sometimes it is better to take the project you love, even if it is not directly in your field, because you will be more excited, and you will push it further. Plus medical school is full of things you are REQUIRED and EXPECTED to do. Get the project that makes you happy, gets you excited, that you cannot wait to get into!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can find a project that has wide applicability like limb salvage (covers vascular, ortho, and plastics) or peripheral arterial disease (vascular and IR), that could work. In the meantime, you could scour SDN and /r/medicalschool for information about each of the fields to help you narrow it down some more.
My project is actually on upper extremity bypass and does have a decent amount of cross over with patients undergoing plastics/ortho. I have a decent amount of Rads research (1 first author case study, 3 other pubs, 3 abstracts, 3 presentations) but its in diagnostic rads.

My project is actually on upper extremity bypass and does have a decent amount of cross over with patients undergoing plastics/ortho. I have a decent amount of Rads research (1 first author case study, 3 other pubs, 3 abstracts, 3 presentations) but its in diagnostic rads.

So it sounds like you're covered for the most part. I will defer to someone more knowledgeable about IR like @irwarrior on whether the DR stuff will "count" for IR. Hopefully it should count for something, even if it doesn't fully "check the box".

Frankly, if you're undecided then you're doing the best you can--better to pick something and be productive than sit around waiting for the "perfect" project to come along that happens to be applicable to everything.

Reactions: 3 users
jesus how did/do you learn to do first author papers as a medical students/papers in general? iv had basic science experience but i still have no idea how to do clinical reserach/case studies independently like that id love to learn though