How do you choose??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cappymo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! Trying to decide between SUNY Upstate and Georgetown, any opinions?? Mind you, this is coming from a NYS resident...

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on you, honestly. DC is obviously a very nice place to be and Georgetown does have a slightly better reputation. However, are you willing to pay 20,000 grand more a year for that kind of edge. Where would you be more happy? Figure that out and youre golden.

Does anyone know where SUNY Upstate is ranked?? Or for that matter how they place on matches

Members don't see this ad :)
if you take SUNY, i'll take your georgetown spot and take good care of it, don't you worry. ;)

Come on guys I know some of you are Upstate fans and some are Georgetown.... What are your pros and cons for your choice!? :eek: :eek:

im sure it will be different for any single person you ask....you just have to figure out what is most important to you, and what is most comfortable for you, and run with it....no matter what choice you make, you're gonna be a great doctor in the future! Good luck on your choice!!

do what they do to choose you! pin up the letters, and throw a dart!

no but really, just go where you feel most comfortable.

Idunno. My gut is really guiding me in this process. It can't help that i'm hungry :(

you could always toss a coin ;)

cappymo said:
Help! Trying to decide between SUNY Upstate and Georgetown, any opinions?? Mind you, this is coming from a NYS resident...

SUNY upstate is not ranked. I would choose Georgetown, because there is absolutely nothing to do (Syracuse seemed like a boring place)

Education wise, i am sure they are about the same

Yeah Georgetown has some cool alumni as well...like Allen Iverson and Patrick Ewing...they moved on to play pro ball....I dont know about any SUNY Upstate alumni, though :confused:

I'd say that unless you are independently wealthy that you should attend your state school. You will be much happier graduating with a lot lower debt burden.

cappymo said:
Does anyone know where SUNY Upstate is ranked?? Or for that matter how they place on matches
base it on their match rate, not how they are ranked. and unless you loved Georgetown , figure out how much the extra debt matters to you.

Blue Scrub said:
Yeah Georgetown has some cool alumni as well...like Allen Iverson and Patrick Ewing...they moved on to play pro ball....I dont know about any SUNY Upstate alumni, though :confused:
Patrick Ewing went to Georgetown med school???? I didn't know that. I didn't know about Allen Iverson either for that matter....

Blue Scrub said:

How's Elizabeth Blackwell? :) And Syracuse isn't so bad. I've been there many times. It's a college town. Safe and cheap-- not bad for a med student.

I'd pick SUNY over Georgetown. Gtown's biggest plus is DC, IMO.

:thumbup: Thanks for your help everyone

housemd said:
It really depends on you, honestly. DC is obviously a very nice place to be and Georgetown does have a slightly better reputation. However, are you willing to pay 20,000 grand more a year for that kind of edge. Where would you be more happy? Figure that out and youre golden.

Agreed.

Georgetown is held in slightly better regard reputation-wise and based on entering students credentials, but I don't think either of them is held in particularly above-average repute by residency programs, so it is unlikely that attending Georgetown will have any particularly great effects on your residency app. Hence, you should probably be thinking along money and quality of life lines in making your decision.