MD & DO How do you deal with abusive patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A recent report published by STAT indicates that 6 in 10 doctors receive abusive remarks from their patients. Racist, sexist and other abusive remarks are often faced by doctors, and in many times, leaves lasting scars.

6 in 10 doctors report abusive remarks from patients, and many get little help coping with the wounds

What do you think about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Have thick skin and realize it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them.

Reactions: 6 users
My mentor was talking about this with me the other day. She is an AA in the South. She said residency was tough. Now she makes sure all the patients in the group practice know that she fills in for her fellow physicians.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid redneck practicing areas if you're a minority. Easy decision.

Gonna come out and say this. People who can't deal with this are sh-tty doctors.

You need to learn to say "no" to patients, and I don't think that schools and residency programs do enough to promote this skill.

A recent report published by STAT indicates that 6 in 10 doctors receive abusive remarks from their patients. Racist, sexist and other abusive remarks are often faced by doctors, and in many times, leaves lasting scars.

6 in 10 doctors report abusive remarks from patients, and many get little help coping with the wounds

What do you think about this?

Just guessing, but most likely 6 in 10 people who work would probably report abusive remarks from their co-workers and customers. In no way saying that makes anything okay. But, it isn't exactly news that people are ****ty to one another.

Reactions: 3 users
Have a stern attitude in the first place and people are less likely to give you ****. Can't be a pushover or people will push you over.

Evaluate the situation and realize you can't fix stupid, then move on.

It's just part of the job. I've seen the nicest doctors get yelled at by the meanest patients, who sometimes aren't even paying a dime for their care. And for some reason it seems like the nastiest people we deal with often aren't the one's you actually feel sorry for, i.e. the cancer patient who has a few months to live. It's usually the family member that expects you to make their 89 year old dad you've been taking care of for 2 weeks suddenly live forever, or the 36 year old with some chronic pain syndrome overlayed on top of a long history of substance abuse that you have no concrete problem to address and can't justify pain meds for.

It sucks, but it's part of the job and part of the reason so many of us get callous about our patients. You have to brush it off, realize you deal with people in the saddest, darkest parts of their lives, and try to not let it shake you. And like Mimelim said above, it's nothing different from many other jobs. I was a career server for years and had sit by with a smile while people yelled at me for their fries being cold or their frozen margarita not tasting like it had enough alcohol in it. I wouldn't trade the job and respect I have now to go back to that life.

Avoid redneck practicing areas if you're a minority. Easy decision.
Well, the report did not only talk about the minority. Even white people were affected.

Gonna come out and say this. People who can't deal with this are sh-tty doctors.

You need to learn to say "no" to patients, and I don't think that schools and residency programs do enough to promote this skill.
I agree, schools should focus a little bit more about these skills

I am going OB/GYN. I expect to be yelled at, sued, and abused. I just hate that it happens, and it shouldn't happen to attendings by coworkers.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

There are many things beyond your control. Tell the patient what you are capable of doing for them and what you are not. Explain clearly why. If they don't listen, then they have the freedom to get their care elsewhere. Don't take it personally, and focus on the next thing you need to get done. Remember, you'll be doing this for decades. No use destroying yourself for failure to deliver care for a patient due to unreasonable expectations.