how do you deal with annoying/stuck up premeds???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qualityhealth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
they're everywhere!! in physics, chem, orgo, ahhhhhhhh i don't knowwhatto do

Members don't see this ad.

i completely feel with you quality...

mindquick, hes not talking about all of them. I think he's talking about the dingus ones or the ones that are so competitive it makes you angry.

i.e. lets say the class started already...you walk in 2-3 mins late...and sit somewhere off on the side close to the entrance.

One of the premeds this guy is talking about would rush in...make lots of noise and hit people with their bags trying to get in the middle of the aisle in the first or second row.

Or say you go to OH to ask a quick Q, and someone inside notices you outside. and they ask questions for about 50 min straight (lets say its an hour long). Its just highly inconsiderate if someone is waiting behind you. If i was them, i would hurry and ask a few then leave so the person waiting got help too.

There are far too many to list but yeah it almost makes me wish i was a sociology/communications major...ALMOST...

Members don't see this ad :)
The competitive gunners don't bother me as much as the paranoid and whiney pre-meds that ask ten thousand questions about their "horrible," and "destroyed," 3.59 GPA. They are going to need meds for a heart condition and start balding before they ever get laid.

the worst is when you meet some of these people at interviews, and realize that they'll probably get in while you won't.

The competitive gunners don't bother me as much as the paranoid and whiney pre-meds that ask ten thousand questions about their "horrible," and "destroyed," 3.59 GPA. They are going to need meds for a heart condition and start balding before they ever get laid.

:clap::bow:

HAHAHAHAH ... THANK YOU. You just made my day!!! Honestly, sleep well tonight; you did a good thing. :thumbup: :laugh:

if you think its bad now...
wait until you get to your internships and residency,
there are some horror stories of how the attendings treat us

if you think its bad now...
wait until you get to your internships and residency,
there are some horror stories of how the attendings treat us

...aren't you a pre-med?

just think... once you get into med school... they'll still be everywhere, except now as med students. you'll get to spend a lot of quality time with them! have fun!

just think... once you get into med school... they'll still be everywhere, except now as med students. you'll get to spend a lot of quality time with them! have fun!

yeah BUT med school is actually about collaborative learning rather than cut throat competition...so its alot better to be these people's friends than enemies haha

yeah BUT med school is actually about collaborative learning rather than cut throat competition...so its alot better to be these people's friends than enemies haha

Not necessarily. Med school is much more self-study oriented than undergrad. The whole "collaborative-learning" thing comes from PBL that, while trumpeted heavily by many schools, rarely allows for a substantial learning experience.

But, in general, it's a lot less competitive since pretty much everyone passes.

Members don't see this ad :)

Read the threads in the allopathic forum saying that med school = high schol all over again. The application process channels all the gunners into a concentrated area (med school). If you think people gunned hard to get into med school, imagine how they will be when they are gunning for the specialty they have to live with for the rest of their life.

Ignore them, then talk trash about them on the internet.

Some of them amaze me though, like the guy who asked this girl the other day if she was a pre-med major. Mind you our school doesn't even have a pre-med major.. and he's in the process of applying to medical school right now. How do you stay that dense?

Some of them amaze me though, like the guy who asked this girl the other day if she was a pre-med major. Mind you our school doesn't even have a pre-med major.. and he's in the process of applying to medical school right now. How do you stay that dense?

it could be worse. i've seen a med school student ask another med school student if she is a pre-med major.

I thank them for being them because they make me feel better about my chances to get accepted. I'm not joking either; after seeing how many pre-meds are idiots, *****s, dinguses, etc., I'm really not that worried providing I do good on the MCAT and keep my GPA up. Now, you can take that as arrogance if you wish, but the next time you come across one of the many aforementioned pre-meds, you'll mentally feel better yourself probably. :p

I thank them for being them because they make me feel better about my chances to get accepted. I'm not joking either; after seeing how many pre-meds are idiots, *****s, dinguses, etc., I'm really not that worried providing I do good on the MCAT and keep my GPA up. Now, you can take that as arrogance if you wish, but the next time you come across one of the many aforementioned pre-meds, you'll mentally feel better yourself probably. :p
I know more about the medical field and the whole application process than literally any other premed I've met so far... it is a good feeling.

Living well is the best revenge. Work hard, play hard, and have as much sex as possible (even if it's with yourself).

Read the threads in the allopathic forum saying that med school = high schol all over again. The application process channels all the gunners into a concentrated area (med school). If you think people gunned hard to get into med school, imagine how they will be when they are gunning for the specialty they have to live with for the rest of their life.

haha guess i gotta get adjusted to that - i just hope theyre not as bothersome as the "annoying/stuck up premeds"

For gunners, become a sniper and watch them squirm.

For whiners, tell them they won't get into a medical school because their 3.8's are not 4.0's.

Yeah...like the ones in my biology lab who don't understand how to convert centimeters to millimeters and tell me I'm smart because I know how to just move the decimal point.

I give them bad grades and ask them questions about their respective disciplines that I know they cannot answer. I consider it sport. ;)

Yeah, probably the most satisfying thing to do is help the neurotic ones freak out a little. They're the ones that leave a bio test saying stuff like "Geez, I thought the professor was going to make that hard." That's the moment you ask them how they did on that long, additional essay on the back of the last page (which is, of course, non-existant) then watch them go crazy. It's better than watching TV!

Ok I'm sure that everyone will hate me now, but honestly the most annoying people are those who complain and belittle other people's personalities. If you don't like them just ignore them. Anyone who is arrogant enough to make fun of someone else for being anxious or competitive is 9 times out of 10 a complete punk themselves. Live and let live.

Yeah, probably the most satisfying thing to do is help the neurotic ones freak out a little. They're the ones that leave a bio test saying stuff like "Geez, I thought the professor was going to make that hard." That's the moment you ask them how they did on that long, additional essay on the back of the last page (which is, of course, non-existant) then watch them go crazy. It's better than watching TV!

Don't fight fire with fire. While pre-med neuroticism and arrogance is annoying, it's relatively harmless to others in the grand scheme of things. "Messing" with pre-meds like what you're suggesting is inappropriate and will make you a less well-liked person than those you're targeting with your pranks.

Ok I'm sure that everyone will hate me now, but honestly the most annoying people are those who complain and belittle other people's personalities. If you don't like them just ignore them. Anyone who is arrogant enough to make fun of someone else for being anxious or competitive is 9 times out of 10 a complete punk themselves. Live and let live.

You may find your attitude on this changes once you've gone through psych rotations and get experience working with Cluster B's. ;)

Agreed.

Agreed with above poster. Medicine is a leadership field, so lead by example. If someone's behaving like an arrogant little type-A premed, don't stoop to their level, but respond in a mature and compassionate manner and you may be surprised at their reaction.

Quite often, this kind of immature behavior comes from insecurity and lack of experience and perspective.

The gunner phase is really just for pre-meds; medical students don't have time for that. Sure, some of them are gunning for competitive residencies but they're not going to get there by stepping on classmates; on the contrary they have to help each other.

Remember that this is good practice towards developing professional boundaries for the clinical years. If someone's pushing your buttons, learn to deactivate those buttons and you'll be a better person for it.

You can't really blame "gunners" entirely for being A-holes. Seems like they're more of a product of the med-school applications system.

Product of their surroundings/situation etc. etc.

Who cares, premeds are annoying. Just do your own thing and don't worry about what the other annoying ones are doing.

if beging a gunner gets me in medical school; I am fine with it.

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of "typical" premeds don't ever get into medical school. Most people here are pretty normal.

My best advice is to never advertise that you're pre-professional. Just pretend you're interested in orgo for the hell of it.

Yeah...like the ones in my biology lab who don't understand how to convert centimeters to millimeters and tell me I'm smart because I know how to just move the decimal point.

....I'm speechless. I could have sworn every science textbook at least gives a basic rundown of the metric system. Sounds like a real group of winners there.

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of "typical" premeds don't ever get into medical school. Most people here are pretty normal.

My best advice is to never advertise that you're pre-professional. Just pretend you're interested in orgo for the hell of it.

Sound advice.

Good advise buddy....Thats exactly what I do. I rarely ever tell anyone I'm pre-med.

If you guys wanna see annoying/stuck up pre-meds, come check out the Bonnie & Clydes in my school. bf & gf who are both annoying pre-meds...its an horrible sight.

i completely feel with you quality...

mindquick, hes not talking about all of them. I think he's talking about the dingus ones or the ones that are so competitive it makes you angry.

i.e. lets say the class started already...you walk in 2-3 mins late...and sit somewhere off on the side close to the entrance.

One of the premeds this guy is talking about would rush in...make lots of noise and hit people with their bags trying to get in the middle of the aisle in the first or second row.

Or say you go to OH to ask a quick Q, and someone inside notices you outside. and they ask questions for about 50 min straight (lets say its an hour long). Its just highly inconsiderate if someone is waiting behind you. If i was them, i would hurry and ask a few then leave so the person waiting got help too.

There are far too many to list but yeah it almost makes me wish i was a sociology/communications major...ALMOST...

I can't stand people who jump right away after class and talk to the professor for half an hour so I can't even get a word in #$@%!

Oh my god. I think i'm turning into that.

I can't stand people who jump right away after class and talk to the professor for half an hour so I can't even get a word in #$@%!

Oh my god. I think i'm turning into that.

I am a very nice person and very anti-anger. Im also 6'0 and almost 200 pounds and lift weights almost everyday. Its so hard standing there while a very rude person runs by you and bumps into you hard with their 60 lb backpack (knocking me to the side) and you literally want to just pick them up and hold them in the air until they realize what they are doing.

and for this past summer class, that was the case everyday. It was the best class i've ever taken (and only my second upper division but im gonna be a 2nd year). I went once to the professor's OH and twice to my TA (one of 8)'s OH. When i went to the professor's, by the time i got to when the line curved around the building near his office he said he was sorry he had to run ask a Q via email (hard to ask a complicated cardiogram Q via email). The two times i went to the TA same deal...OH starts at 3 pm i was there at 2:56 and already a line of 7-8 people. and everytime shed ask who has a Q and id politely raise my hand the others around me would directly start speaking and shoving a paper almost in her face. These are the only things that bother me...:mad:

Smack them with an orgo book.

I have to agree. Most of the people are pretty neat (so far). I have yet to come across a true "gunner"... or maybe they just haven't shown their true colors yet :confused:

No, just smack them... make no excuse for it. A wo/man should not make excuses for his/her actions.
...then blame the "pre-medophobic" forces.

(Get it?)