Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How Do You Deal With Rude Admission Office Staff?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by PAGuyana, Jan 5, 2009.

1. PAGuyana

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The admission staff is just plain rude and I'm at my wit's end trying to deal with these people as I try to find out my file's status. The school shall remain nameless.

2. Golden Joe

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Withdraw your application. haha. In all seriousness, I've found that rude admissions offices respond most favorably to emails.

3. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it's January, are you not sure if you're complete or not? does the school even give out your file status?

4. tiamat360

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    What stage of the process are you at with this school? If you haven't been offered an interview, it's hard to expect the school to deal with you right now - they're probably very busy scheduling interviews and/or sending post-interview info. It is really hard to wait for a school to let you know what's up if you've been complete for a looong time (which you probably have been), and it's even harder when they're rude about it, but they probably get dozens of calls from people in your same situation each day, and it's likely they can't tell you much (especially if you're still under review).

Be patient with them, and most of all don't be rude back. That's the last impression you want to give anyone associated with your chances of getting into med school :D.

edit: Oh, hah, didn't even think about the fact that you might be wondering if you're complete or not - I'm with Golden Joe, email them if you haven't already.

5. vadd0

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have been on the other side of the phone/email before, and I understand what they deal with, so I always overlook it. Fortunately, every correspondence has been pleasurable.

6. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    QFT. These people are overworked and inundated with phone calls/e-mails. That doesn't give anyone the right to be rude, but you do have to understand where it comes from. Maintain composure, be polite, and believe that the rest of staff/faculty at the school is [probably] not like that. :)

7. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Kill them with kindness. They have the power and you do not.

It is part of the "process". :(

8. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Gotta suck it up. They're not competing for you, you're competing for them, and they know it.

9. funkymunkytoes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Tell them to go take a flying f*** at a rolling doughnut! Take a flying **** at the moooooooooooooooooonnnn!!

10. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I send emails for everything. That way even if the response is from a total biznitch you usually can't tell. Plus it's conveniant.