How do you deal with stress?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought we might all benefit from a thread with some tips on dealing with school related stress. (I know I would)

Personally, I suck at handling stress. Sure, on the outside I look fine; but inside I'm often a nervous wreak. During exam times I find it hard to sleep (insomniac?) - and it usually takes me two weeks to "wind down" after a semester. Also, I can become especially introverted... (my poor wife - its like living with a zombie i'm sure).

Anyone like me or have any suggestions?
thx and good luck to all--skp :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I like to get my ipod mini, go to the gym, and run like a mad man on the treadmill for 30 minutes or so. Yeah, sometimes when I'm studying for hours on end, especially during finals, I feel like my heart is gonna pop, and a good run usually calms the nerves. Good luck.

Xbox, Booze, Strip Clubs. In that order :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
animes, FPS games, beating my plushies...last but not least if it is a person causing all that stress, putting both my hands around that person's neck and tightening it is a surefire way to destress

Stress can be rough; I work out / go for runs (not really much of this during exam weeks though, for obvious reasons haha)

Listen to a lot of music, know the hard work is worth it.

I go shopping and then later regret it because I end up broke and then the stress starts all over again. :scared:

Hmmm.....That's an interesting one. I don't think people would argue with that. :rolleyes:

i don't think i deal with it anymore
i think i have learned to live with it
sometimes there is a primal scream that has to be let out....
other times i really need ice cream (see post referring to the 20lbs i've gained)
i have been known to after a particularly nasty test to become completely trashed. but not during finals week!

good luck

Chocolate. I went straight from the PCAT to Publix and ate a box of warm from the oven bakery chocolate chip cookies with a pint of milk.

Caverject said:
And if another person is not available, masterbation
So that is why you put all those hand lotions on your Christmas list.... :laugh:

Sadly, I eat when I am stressed out. I don't know if that counts as blowing it off, because it probably doesn't help. To give myself a break I like to go online or listen to music.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about watch some stupid funny tv show? i'm currently watching that 70s show right now...... it's freaking awesome!!

F.R.I.E.N.D.S......is the best sitcom ever! :laugh:

i take a LONG hot shower. LOL

I see myself as a very calm person - I don't freak out emotionally. Apparently my body SUCKS at handling stress though. I started getting heatburn/ulcer-like symptoms over a year ago (throwing up foamy acidy stuff, bad heartburn,etc) whenever I had a big exam or finals coming up. Since then I've had to either refrain from eating onions, tomatos, garlic, chocolate, coffee (all of which I LOVE) OR pop some prilosec from my daddy's pharmacy! :laugh: I generally prefer doing the latter. :D

WildOrchids27 said:
F.R.I.E.N.D.S......is the best sitcom ever! :laugh:

yes true.....but that 70s show is awesome too =P

Caverject said:
And if another person is not available, masterbation

Yeah, I'm usually alone on exam days. It's okay. We had a sex toy party while I was at Eckerd.

Personally, when I'm superstressed I end up making myself sick and am able to use that as an excuse to curl up in bed in a little ball and feel sorry for myself and get pampered by my husband.

I had one of those moments last night because my husband may have to quit his job and I still haven't heard back from UK even though they just did their 2nd rounds of interviews and I just want to get up and leave all the troubles behind.

If I runaway to Florida, will someone give me a place to live?

vafcarrot said:
If I runaway to Florida, will someone give me a place to live?

You are welcome. Of course you may run screaming into the night after spending very much time in a house with 2 adults, 4 children (15 - 5) a lab who thinks she is a cat and a cat who eats dog food. :scared:

First time posting here...
Just had a mini nervous break down two days ago over my Organic final and I ended up cleaning my surroundings in an obsessive-compulsive type manner, wild-eyed, frantic, the whole bit.

The best thing I do for myself is to walk to the library that I study at with no music, no mini iPod. That really helps to have about 15-20 minutes of pure silence to clear your mind and make the studying more effective. There really is no better stress-reliever than feeling like you are completely prepared.

Listen to your body and your mind and learn how you study best and when you are most receptive and schedule your courseload around that.

Chris

When I'm stressed I knit, or lay in my bed while listening to music. I did his a lot last week when I had finals.. eek.

To relieve stress:

During the Spring and Summer and Early Fall, I 1) garden and/or 2) go power-walking with my best friend while we vent (quite a productive activity, really.)

During the rather depressing Winter months, I 1) lose myself in a book and/or 2) vent with my best friend over tea and Scotch (this may not be as productive, but enjoyable just the same.)

Having a voice of reason around 24/7 (that would be WVUPharm2007.) He keeps me calm and puts everything in perspective when I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack, and I give him sex and back rubs when he starts worrying. Really, it's the perfect relationship. :love: That, and lots of cuddles *snicker* Before I met him... well, I don't want to think about then.

Sleep....best cure for stress, you wake up with a clear head and problems start getting solved.

I find a good friend *usually the poor bf b/c he can't run away fast enough!* and run my mouth till I can't run it anymore. Verbalizing my issues often helps me see what the problem/source of stress really is and allows me to get someone else's perspective on it. Sometimes I don't always resolve the issue but sometimes it helps just to have gotten it out into the open...having other folks aware of your problems helps them become more sensitive to your issues and they understand that you really mean them no harm when you morph into a snarling snivelling ball of stress.

That and...

Sex/chocolate, together if possible! :laugh:

When I am completely stressed, I like to just say 'screw it' and go to the movies...
I can just forget about everything and live in another reality for awhile.

My first finals week ever, I practically went on an all Ramen noodle diet. I had no time for anything else but studying but fortunately I never pulled a complete all nighter. Whenever it got to me, I just walked around on campus and I would purposefully take a longer route so I could have a healthy break. I ate progressively less during finals week.

Stress does funny things to you. I try to keep up studying as much as I can because from what I heard, you have tests weekly in Pharmacy school. Don't procrastinate, that's the kiss of death in college.

I dealt with it by constantly keeping my eye on the prize. After finals wore over, I splurged, stayed out till 2 AM, had Sex and the City Marathons at my place, bake fests, girls night out, and went to a lot of those free events in Austin...the works :D When I saw that the A's kept coming, it just sweetened the deal.

Stress and school totally affect the way I eat. I think I'm gonna overdose on preservatives one of these days.

Being stressed out really bad means it's time for me to share my pain with someone else :) That is such a good time...................... ;) But s/he usually doesn't mind me doing that. I just can't get away from stress by trying-to-forget-about-it trick coz it usually bounces back and gives me more trouble. So, .... discussion and solution are really what I need.

I eat!! Food makes me happy :D

Sometimes, my body and mind just needs a good nap/sleep to rejuvinate. When I wake up, everything is alot clearer and easier to tackle. ;)

Stress is really hard for me to deal with and sometimes its so overwhleming I don't know what to do. I had a serious breakdown during finals week of fall quarter and even now I'm still not myself.
I tried sleeping, but I can't sleep because my mind is running like a computer...
I tried eating, felt like throwing up...
Doesn't leave many options, sometimes makes me wonder how much longer can I last. and it's only my first year in college.. :(

DrEaMeRcHiCk said:
Stress is really hard for me to deal with and sometimes its so overwhleming I don't know what to do. I had a serious breakdown during finals week of fall quarter and even now I'm still not myself.
I tried sleeping, but I can't sleep because my mind is running like a computer...
I tried eating, felt like throwing up...
Doesn't leave many options, sometimes makes me wonder how much longer can I last. and it's only my first year in college.. :(

Wow, that sounds bad. College is tough, but it's not supposed to be that tough. Sit back, breathe, remember why you're going to college in the first place. Reassure yourself that it all has a purpose and in the end, it will all work out just fine. Promise! If that doesn't work, I suggest finding a professional to talk to and help you work things out...I know there may be some other issues that need to be dealt with in their own right, but trust me, school is really not worth your sanity!!

I understand how you feel though; to me grades were everything -- until I made a C+ in Orgo I. Granted, this is coming from someone who has never made a C in her life, ever. It was tough to accept, 'cause darn it I worked my tail off for that C+, but it was also a good thing because I learned to lighten up a little bit. What reassured me the most was when I called and spoke to someone at the pharmacy school I wish to attend, and she said that while grades are very important, it's a lot better to be a well-rounded person with a slightly lower GPA than to have a perfect GPA/test scores and nothing else going for you.

Good luck! :luck:

talk about stress man!.. interviews are really stressing me out not to mention trying to fix around my schedule so that I can attend all my labs and still have time to work 20 hours a week and enjoy my volunteering and club activities and work out 5 times a week.. takes alot out of me!. when i'm stressed i find that music , running and my boyfriend are big stress relievers. and sleep god alll mighty i sleep like no other on the weekend. on saturdays my typical day is sleep until 11am then wake up goto starbucks drink a big cup of coffee and indulge in a maple oat scone while studying for abour 5 hours then head to the gym to work off that scone for 1.5 hours head home and cook a healthy dinner! then GO OUT !

Find other people who are stressed and we go play a "nice", "friendly" game of tackle football. :laugh:

b*rizzle said:
Wow, that sounds bad. College is tough, but it's not supposed to be that tough. Sit back, breathe, remember why you're going to college in the first place. Reassure yourself that it all has a purpose and in the end, it will all work out just fine. Promise! If that doesn't work, I suggest finding a professional to talk to and help you work things out...I know there may be some other issues that need to be dealt with in their own right, but trust me, school is really not worth your sanity!!

I understand how you feel though; to me grades were everything -- until I made a C+ in Orgo I. Granted, this is coming from someone who has never made a C in her life, ever. It was tough to accept, 'cause darn it I worked my tail off for that C+, but it was also a good thing because I learned to lighten up a little bit. What reassured me the most was when I called and spoke to someone at the pharmacy school I wish to attend, and she said that while grades are very important, it's a lot better to be a well-rounded person with a slightly lower GPA than to have a perfect GPA/test scores and nothing else going for you.

Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I know its not worth all this emotional stress but I don't know what else to do. I guess just growing up I had a lot of pressure on me just like everyone else the only difference is that now its actually hit me. I'll try to relax but emotions are hard to control.
wish me luck!

DrEaMeRcHiCk said:
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I know its not worth all this emotional stress but I don't know what else to do. I guess just growing up I had a lot of pressure on me just like everyone else the only difference is that now its actually hit me. I'll try to relax but emotions are hard to control.
wish me luck!

One of the most important secondary learning goals in pharmacy school is to
teach you to cope with stress. They do this by placing stress on you and allowing you to deal with it. Most of us learn to cope in one form or another.
Those who don't either quit or their roomie finds they've hung themselves. Every year there are one or two...

I cope at work with dark humor - talking trash about the customers. My partner does this also, and sometimes loud enough for the customer to hear.
Anna, when was the last time you played rock-paper-scissors to see who has to go to the counter to help that cranky old bat? We wonder aloud about the literacy rate among the ambulatory care population of Yelm, and place bets that their next stop after refilling the vicodin is the liquor store.

At home I flirt with death and dismemberment by working with dangerous power tools. There is just something about watching the tree you just felled falling on your greenhouse that puts all that foolishness at work into perspective. It is as much fun as hitting your hand with a ball peen hammer.

Oh yeah, and sex...when I can catch her. :cool:

baggywrinkle said:
One of the most important secondary learning goals in pharmacy school is to
teach you to cope with stress. They do this by placing stress on you and allowing you to deal with it. Most of us learn to cope in one form or another.
Those who don't either quit or their roomie finds they've hung themselves. Every year there are one or two...

I cope at work with dark humor - talking trash about the customers. My partner does this also, and sometimes loud enough for the customer to hear.
Anna, when was the last time you played rock-paper-scissors to see who has to go to the counter to help that cranky old bat? We wonder aloud about the literacy rate among the ambulatory care population of Yelm, and place bets that their next stop after refilling the vicodin is the liquor store.
My school seems to be freakish in that we have no recent dropouts. I think it is the support system we have, not the ease of the program. My classmates are always there for each other.

I have never played rock-paper-scissors. There are only a couple of people who are generally disliked at my store. Usually whoever dealt with them last time gets off the hook. I don't really have a problem with them, so if no one else volunteers I will help them. There is a little trash talking going on, but it is generally in jest and said in private. Sometimes there are people who do thigs so ridiculous that you just have to laugh at it and bring up repeatedly. Remember the whole business about one of my patients calling while lying on the couch with her pants down and wanting to be told step by step how to apply her estrogen patch so that her neighbor could affix it to her rear end? Things like that are so classic. :) I just think about the ridiculous stuff that makes me smile.

I relax when I listen to music, especially if I am in the car, driving alone.

first post... when im anxious i do a lot of the things you guys have mentioned, but a lot of the times what helps is driving at night. i recently bought a motorcycle and just cruise to calm my thoughts. i live with 5 roommates so i also end up playing lots of hold em poker. and then finally, i also post online :D

I definitely 'deal' with it by either doing everything I possibly can to alleviate it at its source (i.e. Studying for a test that is coming up...)

Otherwise I escape it by going out with a few friends or immersing myself in my favorite hobbies. (drawing, reading, sleeping etc...)

:)

try meditating.......it works. Th enext thing you will know will be that your stress is down the drain!

striker5 said:
first post... when im anxious i do a lot of the things you guys have mentioned, but a lot of the times what helps is driving at night. i recently bought a motorcycle and just cruise to calm my thoughts. i live with 5 roommates so i also end up playing lots of hold em poker. and then finally, i also post online :D

YIPPEEE for motorcycles ^_^ wat do u ride?

sylee said:
YIPPEEE for motorcycles ^_^ wat do u ride?

i have an old fazer. only been riding for a few months, but i love it. what do you have and where are you in the application process ?

Play Halo as much as I can on XBOX live. it's such a great stress reliever. I wanna get the XBOX 360.

i usually go to the gym or just get in my car and drive around for awhile.

seriously though, when will it ever end? first its stress about applications then interviews then waiting for responses. it seems like this is never gonna end!