How do you decide on where to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtrlOATgal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I;ve been discussing this with my friend nonstop....how on earth do you decide which school to go to?

by prestige, residencies, specialties, facilities, clinics, curriculum,board pass rates, externships...

by city, cultural life, safety, transportation, location, closeness to home

by your feeling about it, if your classmates click with you, if there are hot guys/girls to date?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people have said to go with your gut feeling, whatever school just feels right to you... I am going through this situation myself right now, trying to figure out which school I will go to... I think cost is important to think about, because you want to minimize your debt as much as possible, but you also want to choose a place that you will be happy living in and the school that has the best programs for you.... I have so much going through my mind myself, hopefully with time we will figure this all out

I am just wondering- does anyone know any of the official board pass rates of the different optometry schools? Is it only Berkeley who is brave and amazing enough to put up theirs? Do we just call the school and ask because then I feel its a little inappropriate to do so for some reason..... like as if we are questioning their academics....I am not, I just want to know that;s all.....

Members don't see this ad :)
NY is 95% i think...it says on their website. :)

I believe a lot of schools actually post their board exam pass rates. I know a few schools I was looking into have them on their website somewhere. Just look harder!!! lol.

The optometrist I shadowed said the final board exam is the highest pass rate so I think all the schools post at least the final board exam pass rate. In the end, all optometry schools will be teaching the same stuff. Ask the students that go to those schools and ask them how they're getting by. Talking to the students REALLY helps (like the students that give the tour even). Every school has different ways to help out their students.

thanks guys!! hmm now i;m wondering more about which students from which schools get to do more residencies.....

I picked PCO mostly because it is the only school that I have any family close by. I am from NC, but my extended family lives in PA about 2 hours from the school. My husband will be moving with me, but we didn't want to move somewhere we would be all alone and have no family near us. Also, it is a school that has NC contract seats which cuts my tuition almost in half, BIG PLUS. Another reason I really wanted to go here was because of the extra semester of rotations. At PCO, you get 1 1/2 years of externships after 2 1/2 years of classes.

You just have to weight what is most important to you:
Location, Tuition, Schedule, etc.