How do you define the difference between an MD and a DO to your family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

czanetti

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious on the simplest definition that people can come up with.

Members don't see this ad.

here's a cut and paste job from a post I wrote a while ago...

If you really want to educate someone..and that someone really wants to listen.....I find that it is best to start out with the similarities and then go into the differences.

I usually start off by stating that
1. most people don't realize that there are 2 medical degrees in the country

2. Both MD's and DO's work side-by-side doing the same jobs and making the same money.

3. DO's have more of a primary care/patient centered focus vs. the research/technology focus of the majority of MD schools, however DO's don't have to be primary care and can/do specialize in whatever they want.

4. DO's learn a form of hands-on musculoskeletal medicine that can be used to treat many common problems such as back pain, muscle pains and headaches. They are also trained from Day 1 to be able to diagnose musculoskeletal problems with their hands.

5. DO's can choose to not practice with the parts that make them distinct from MD's and many do just that...ie their is no distinction in practice with many MD's/DO's. There are certain specialties where the distinct parts of Osteopathic Medicine are really prevalant, ie Sports Med, PM&R and Family Practice.

6. In the end it is up to the individual person how much they follow Osteopathic ideals/tecniques...but they, at the minimum, are Physicians and are trained and liscenced to do everything that people are used to Doctors doing.

This is the model of "the schpiel" that I have found most effective with people. Some people really won't care what you have to say and will forever believe that only MD's are Doctors....ignorance is bliss for some...not much else you can say about it....just don't get upset about it. You can reccommend to those people that next time they are in the hospital they take a look at the wall where it lists all the Doctors names and next to it (if they list degrees...some just say Doc for MD/DO) they should see some DO's. The best is when people come back to you and say something along the lines of "I had no idea that my Doctor that I've been going to for all these years, and really like, is a DO...I guess they are real Doctors".

Just don't get frustrated....not everyone is as into the healthcare professions as much as us....even I didn't know what a DO was until sophmore year of college....

Well In just a couple sentences I'd say that they are basicly the same. The D.O.'s have a philosophy of primary care first and are more holistic. The D.O.'s also have another tool in their bag with manipulation. (but then you have to explain OMT).

This thread is just begging for an ignorant response followed by lots of flaming.

Members don't see this ad :)
that is not what it is intended for. And I feel like this is one of the most important aspects to the Osteopathic profession. A simple way to differenciate and explain what it means to be a DO. Try not to write this post off so quickly. If we were able to establish a simple definition I feel like it would make our identity less questionable and hence make those that are looking foward to going into the profession a little more proud.

The easiest way I can describe it while making myself look good lol is to say that DO's are the exact same as MD's except they have like six months worth of more schooling in manipulative medicine than MD's.

here's a cut and paste job from a post I wrote a while ago...

If you really want to educate someone..and that someone really wants to listen.....I find that it is best to start out with the similarities and then go into the differences.

I usually start off by stating that
1. most people don't realize that there are 2 medical degrees in the country

2. Both MD's and DO's work side-by-side doing the same jobs and making the same money.

3. DO's have more of a primary care/patient centered focus vs. the research/technology focus of the majority of MD schools, however DO's don't have to be primary care and can/do specialize in whatever they want.

4. DO's learn a form of hands-on musculoskeletal medicine that can be used to treat many common problems such as back pain, muscle pains and headaches. They are also trained from Day 1 to be able to diagnose musculoskeletal problems with their hands.

5. DO's can choose to not practice with the parts that make them distinct from MD's and many do just that...ie their is no distinction in practice with many MD's/DO's. There are certain specialties where the distinct parts of Osteopathic Medicine are really prevalant, ie Sports Med, PM&R and Family Practice.

6. In the end it is up to the individual person how much they follow Osteopathic ideals/tecniques...but they, at the minimum, are Physicians and are trained and liscenced to do everything that people are used to Doctors doing.

This is the model of "the schpiel" that I have found most effective with people. Some people really won't care what you have to say and will forever believe that only MD's are Doctors....ignorance is bliss for some...not much else you can say about it....just don't get upset about it. You can reccommend to those people that next time they are in the hospital they take a look at the wall where it lists all the Doctors names and next to it (if they list degrees...some just say Doc for MD/DO) they should see some DO's. The best is when people come back to you and say something along the lines of "I had no idea that my Doctor that I've been going to for all these years, and really like, is a DO...I guess they are real Doctors".

Just don't get frustrated....not everyone is as into the healthcare professions as much as us....even I didn't know what a DO was until sophmore year of college....

I think that this is a great attempt to explain the difference. Yet it's not a simple introduction for people that are not aware of the inter-workings of the medical field. I feel like these points could be brought up if those willing to be informed ask more about the profession.

I'm wondering what people have for a simple introduction of the main distinction put in lamens terms. Once again this is one of the most important parts about going into any medical profession being able to communicate to the average joe if we can't do that when explaining what a DO there are going to be problems with our core identity.

Very simply put, I just say that DO's are the same as MD's except that they learn how to adjust the body.

Like I said, very simple but people tend to understand that better than going into the whole "holistic approach" concept.

I think that this is a great attempt to explain the difference. Yet it's not a simple introduction for people that are not aware of the inter-workings of the medical field. I feel like these points could be brought up if those willing to be informed ask more about the profession.

I'm wondering what people have for a simple introduction of the main distinction put in lamens terms. Once again this is one of the most important parts about going into any medical profession being able to communicate to the average joe if we can't do that when explaining what a DO there are going to be problems with our core identity.
a quick and dirty response that basically says it all:

"same money, same job, prescriptions, surgery, etc....and learned manual medicine/manipulation"

fortunately or unfortunately depending on who you talk to and how you view it....OMM is the only remaining "concrete" difference...the rest gets into little nuances that I alluded to above

I told my family there exists another type of doctor besides a MD, called a DO. First, I explained the similarities in education, residency programs, and income. Then I went on to explain how DOs study additional things, i.e. OMM, which meant I had to explain what OMM means. Many people are skeptical since so many in society are not informed about the various career oppurtunties in medicine. Try not to get upset if people give you a hard time, saying your not a real doctor, yes they are ignorant, but try your best at remaining unaffected by such an attitude and concentrate on educating them -even if its no avail- about osteopathic medicine. If they still wish to argue with you, there are 3 option:
  • Right Hook
  • Leave
  • Left Hook

that is not what it is intended for. And I feel like this is one of the most important aspects to the Osteopathic profession. A simple way to differenciate and explain what it means to be a DO. Try not to write this post off so quickly. If we were able to establish a simple definition I feel like it would make our identity less questionable and hence make those that are looking foward to going into the profession a little more proud.

For a short, quick, oversimplified definition that people can latch onto with their short attention spans:

I tell them that, first of all, DO's are medical doctors. Second I tell them that DO's have extra training in musculoskeletal manipulation. Then when they begin scratching their heads, I ask them if they have ever heard of a chiropractor. They always answer "yes," and this is key: they can wrap their heads around this. I then inform them that chiropractic is an offshoot of Osteopathic musculoskeletal manipulation, so DO's are like a combination of both, but with more training than a chiropractor. I then tell them that their MD might have to send them to a chiro for certain things (or might not when they should, out of ego), but a DO doesn't have to, and doesn't need to prescribe physical therapy as much either, but can then prescribe drugs or do surgery if necessary.

They usually can comprehend the benefits of Osteopathic medicine after that. No long spiel about AT Still, or Kirksville, etc that they don't care about.

Here's exactly what I told my mother and several other people who've asked me: "An MD and a DO are the same thing for all intents and purposes, it's just that there are two different degrees leading to the same job, just like there are two degrees a vet can earn (DVM or VMD) or a dentist can earn (DDS or DMD). There are some historical differences and DO's have to take a few extra classes because of them, but in the end, they are both physicians."

There are some historical differences and DO's have to take a few extra classes because of them, but in the end, they are both physicians."

Very well put because it's short and simple. I'm rather comfortable with my choice and see no need to explain the differences. There aren't that many.

Very well put because it's short and simple. I'm rather comfortable with my choice and see no need to explain the differences. There aren't that many.

DO's don't take extra classes for historical reasons, they take them because they are for an important treatment modality.

As future DO's just say, DO's are better in bed. :smuggrin:

Here's exactly what I told my mother and several other people who've asked me: "An MD and a DO are the same thing for all intents and purposes, it's just that there are two different degrees leading to the same job, just like there are two degrees a vet can earn (DVM or VMD) or a dentist can earn (DDS or DMD). There are some historical differences and DO's have to take a few extra classes because of them, but in the end, they are both physicians."

Historical differences????

OMT isnt really a history class. And we dont teach it because of the historical divide...we teach it because of the current day uses for OMT.

I suppose we learn CPR, suturing and train on the laparascopic simulator for historical purposes as well...not because we may some day use those skills. :)

Just to be facetious, my OMM class included substantial amounts of history in the lectures.

Yeah...but is that the reason we have OMM class? As a vessel for teaching osteopathic history? Not at PCOM it isnt.

Historical differences????

OMT isnt really a history class.

"Historical differences" has nothing to do with being taught history. Try looking at that entire post. I think he's saying that, historically, the training of osteopaths and allopaths has varied. The most consistent thing, however, has been passing along the knowledge of OMM. That's all it means...and while it may be an important modality, as jkhamlin mentioned, we do it because those in charge are reluctant to change. And, because doing away with it would not only change our identity, since it is one of the few things left that makes us different, but would also invalidate much of the historical training that DOs endured.

BTW, our class is called Osteopathic Principles and Practices (OPP) and a fairly substantial amount of history IS included in the lecture portion of the course. I tend to enjoy that part as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.