How do you describe your fraternity/sorority on PTCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earlgreyteame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fraternities and sororities have such a bad connotation. How have you described them in the PTCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

I put my positions held, Service and Rush. And talked about some of the service events that I organized in my essay. Other than that, not at all. If i didn't have the service chair position I probably wouldn't have included it.

I put the positions that I held and briefly described the positions. I also used my background within the sorority throughout my application - I highlighted all of the good aspects of it and all the things that it enhanced in me - time management, leadership style, working with diverse individuals, etc. My sorority was a big part of my undergraduate career and is definitely not something that I would just leave off of my application. The interviewer I had asked me about it in my interview - but in the aspect of he wanted me to expand on something that I had already written about!

Members don't see this ad :)
Beyond philanthropic activities and intangible contributions to your personal and professional development, I would keep it to a minimum, unless you were senior leadership. Even then, it's a gamble. You'll either get someone who was involved in Greek life during their own undergrad and relate to your experience, or someone who places no value on Greek organizations at all, and question the value of something that you, in their eyes, over emphasized in your application.

i was on exec board, so i talked about my experiences/accomplishments there. also included all the service hours and who our main philantrophy was. other than that keep it short and to the point.