How do you distinguish between humanities, natural and social science passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I identify the passages?

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know so if anyone else can explain I will appreciate it.

Note: I already read passages

This what I think.

Natural Science is anything related to nature an environment.

I am not sure about the other two.

its those humanities passages about art and music i could care less about that always bring my verbal down

Members don't see this ad :)
it's the art history passages that make me go WTF????:confused: If it's something related to sociology, poli sci it's usually pretty clear what the passage is about. Science passages can be a little convoluted also.

What does it matter? Your aim in verbal is to comprehend the core concepts of the passage presented to you. Are you going to change your strategy because a passage is about art or geology? What works for one works for the other.

Look up the definition for each of the subjects and maybe they can give you a clear definition. Actually read the definition and comprehend it..you know, kind of a practice for reading comprehension? I don't see what difference it would make anyway....just read the passage and answer the questions.

Do you seriously not know the difference? :rolleyes:

I want to see if I having trouble with a particular type of passage. I will practice more passages of that type.

I was under the impression that u wanted some quick way to see what a passage type is before reading it.

Humanities: usually about works of art ie fiction, music, visual arts...

Social sciences: tend to focus on historical events and/or political theories.

Natural sciences: u should know what this reads like.

Note: I'm not really sure where to put philosophy because the topic is so broad. U could get a passage on literary theory (ie the effect of writing in first or third person) which would be humanities. but then again, u could get somthing on social theory (ie the benifits of communal living) which would fall right in social sciences. Yet I would consider both topics of philosophy. So that said, I think these descriptions should be used as guidelines and most dificult mcat passages are a mix of two of these categories...

Hope this helps.... And sorry for my wise *** comment earlier. I was kinda sleepy.
:sleep:

I was under the impression that u wanted some quick way to see what a passage type is before reading it.

Humanities: usually about works of art ie fiction, music, visual arts...

Social sciences: tend to focus on historical events and/or political theories.

Natural sciences: u should know what this reads like.

Note: I'm not really sure where to put philosophy because the topic is so broad. U could get a passage on literary theory (ie the effect of writing in first or third person) which would be humanities. but then again, u could get somthing on social theory (ie the benifits of communal living) which would fall right in social sciences. Yet I would consider both topics of philosophy. So that said, I think these descriptions should be used as guidelines and most dificult mcat passages are a mix of two of these categories...

Hope this helps.... And sorry for my wise *** comment earlier. I was kinda sleepy.
:sleep:

Thanks.

How can you not?

Science = usually geology, psychology, a mix of paleontology, archeology, fossils, Earth history, etc.

Social Sciences: education systems, political systems, social theories, economy, a bit of psychology here, too.

Humanities: literature, authors, music, music history, art history, pop culture, more literature, civilizations.

Pretty basic stuff.

How do I identify the passages?